First McGregor Steel

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Don McGregor

First McGregor Steel

Post by Don McGregor »

Okay, here it is.

This is my first McGregor steel. It's taken me a while, but I've finally gotten to play something I built.
The body, fret board, and bridge are of Purple Heart. The neck, fret lines, and fretboard binding are Curly Maple, and the Keyhead is Cocobolo. Mother of Pearl dots. Brass nut. 1/4" Stainless steel rod for bridge saddle. Nickel Tulip button Grover tuners. Stainless screws & bolts.
Jerry Wallace TT-8Truetone pickup. 500k pot volume, 250k tone, .020 mf capacitor.
22-1/2" scale with 3/8" center to center string spacing all the way. The keyhead layout allows for a straight, in line string pull. The nut can be easily removed in case I decide to alter the string notches for a different tuning, but for now, it is notched and set up with a high C tuning. High to low - G E C A G E C A
Nitrocellulose Lacquer finish.
Store bought aluminum legs and leg sockets from Sill Music.
I will try and get around to recording something on it soon, and will post.
I do admit, that, although she is totally wired and playable, I still haven't gotten around to making covers for the electronics cavities on the underside. Just couldn't bear to wait any longer. I had previously started a solid body triple neck for my first project, and became overwhelmed. I decided to take two stops back, and start with something simpler for my first, and I find is was a wise decision. NOW, I know how to build the triple.
I spent a long time working out the design for this. I've been playing for a while now, and have definite ideas about what I like.
I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to several people who have helped with advice, encouragement, and inspiration. I'm sure I will be adding to this list as their names come to me.
Here are a few off the top of my head.
My Wife, Cathy, and my kids at home, Selah and Lilah, for being patient while I have spent so much time cloistered out back in the shop. I am a lucky man.
Mark Bracewell. Marks creations are things of beauty, and even if he weren't such a nice guy, I'd still want to get play one of his instruments one day. Especially his What-A-Tone.
Ryan Rukavina. God! The man creates wonders in his shop in Montana. His steels are amazing, and he has made bridges and pickups for me that I intend to use on my next build.
Jerry Lynn of Lynn Guitars. Jerry is another Jonesboro Luthier, who builds beautiful acoustic and electric guitars, and has given me much support along the way.
David Halford of Speaker Services, Memphis, for gifting me this big chunk of Purple Heart.
The Great Billy Robinson, who inspires me every time I hear him, and who was kind enough to share some time and advice with me in Nashville. I will be building a 10 string soon.
Eric Lewis, Monster Musician and Good Guy, who drove over from Memphis to confer and show me some things. I took this knob placement from measurements from his Fender.
Mainly I would like to thank everyone on the Steel Guitar Forum and Steel Guitar Builder websites for all your kindness and advice.
Thank you.
Attachments
Top View Front Side 8385-.jpg
Top View Front Side 8385-.jpg (306.69 KiB) Viewed 2930 times
Top view Back Side 8384-.jpg
Top view Back Side 8384-.jpg (293.47 KiB) Viewed 2930 times
Purple Heart & Maple S8 Finally 8373-.jpg
Purple Heart & Maple S8 Finally 8373-.jpg (273.55 KiB) Viewed 2930 times
Last edited by Don McGregor on Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Lafountaine

Re: Firt McGregor Steel

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Hi Don,

That is one beautiful guitar. I love how the colors go together so well. You did a fantastic job and I look forward to hearing how it sounds. I bet you are already thinking about your next build. Once again that is one beautiful guitar. You should be proud.

Paul
Bent

Re: First McGregor Steel

Post by Bent »

Don, congratulations on a nicely completed project! I love your wood choices. Purpleheart, lovely..how did it yield under the knife? Your fretboard neck mix in PH and Curly Maple was simply ingenious. I love the 2 together. You have the right to be proud of this one!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Hey Don , i can see one thing wrong with that steel guitar , its not in my music room , ha ha teasing you buddy . I like it and its very pretty would love to hear some sound bites, that purple heart looks great with the maple . Russ
Don McGregor

Post by Don McGregor »

Thanks, Guys.
I follow all of your posts, and learn a lot from them.
For an instrument that is basically about as simple as it gets, there are an amazing number of factors and details to be worked out when actually building one. Getting to share your combined knowledge and wealth of experience is worth more than I can say. I know my first project wouldn't have turned out near as well if I hadn't had all of your brains to pick along the way.
And yes, I next have plans to build a double 8 and a double 10.
Got some more Purple Heart, Maple, and some Yellow Heart I'm thinking of combining with the purple on one. That should be gaudy!
Bent, the PH is pretty hard and dense. It has a very straight grain, and seems to hold together in small pieces without splintering. It works very well. I'm thinking of making some keyheads from some of it.
Dick Miller

Post by Dick Miller »

That is a beautiful guitar! It just screams "Play Me"