another build

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
azureskys

another build

Post by azureskys »

This is a 16 string , yep thats right 16 strings , built similar to the last one .Built as an expeirment, cant see why it wouldnt be fine , should have lots of chords on a given fret as well as notes that can be played without much bar movement . Im going to even make a single coil pickup for the build so we ll see how things go, i was going to do a 21 stringer but that might be as a later project.the tuner has a stainless 1/2 bar going through each tuner so it should be ok 306 stainless is pretty stiff .As far as what tuning im going to use im not sure as of yet but i might try a split tuning such as c6 as part of it and maybe A7 , like i said its an experment .Thanks for looking and any advice or comments are welcome. Russ
Attachments
lap steel s 011.JPG
lap steel s 011.JPG (161.61 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
lap steel s 010.JPG
lap steel s 010.JPG (165.23 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
lap steel s 009.JPG
lap steel s 009.JPG (171.81 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
Paul Lafountaine

Re: another build

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Russ,

This may be a stupid question, but, are you looking at a split tuning like C6 on the lower half and A7 on the upper half or mixed? I hope that made sense. Looks pretty anyway!

Paul
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Yes Paul thats what i was thinking , however it could be something different, like i said its an experiment so nothing set in stone as of yet,im open to any ideas,im going to use reg guitar strings on all but i think i can only go up to a high G on the lightest string and i have to keep in mind my lower strings i dont wanna get too low as to have a muddy sound.The whole thing is a little off the wall or out of the box as one might say but its all enjoyment for me . Russ
pastor bruce kiser

Post by pastor bruce kiser »

hi,friends!merry late Christmas - been pretty busy.
boy this is great to start off the year with ambitious projects
such as this.i look forward to just this kind of activity by fellow
steelers -" inside the box "is pretty full so a few glimpses outside
helps fuel some of our fires.
this looks really cool to me and i've often wondered about building a split 12 - string similar to this. looks like great attention to detail
and craftsmanship.go for it!can't wait for more pix!
have a new pet project of my own - a dickerson/magnatone lap
steel converted to pedals & levers.already have the body flaked
bright blue - just my own favorite color - fingers made , figuring
out a final mounting system to suppot it.
keep up the good work and NEVER be afraid to experiment.
god bless all.
pastor bruce
Paul Lafountaine

Hi again Russ,

I have been looking at the bridge and angle piece that holds the strings. I hope you don't mind if I use your idea in my current build. I was actually thinking about a similar bridge piece, but it is the part that the strings go through that I like. I was considering drilling holes through the body and using eyelets, but it is time to try something new.

Your build looks pretty nice and I look forward to seeing it finished and maybe a sound byte or two.

Paul
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Paul thanks for looking and yes, use anything that you like , what i used there is 1/8 inch thick angle . Russ
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

here is a better pic . use plenty of screws to fasten it as there will be alot of pull on it from the strings.Russ
Attachments
PICT0011.JPG
PICT0011.JPG (159.98 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
Paul Lafountaine

Hi again Russ,

The 1/8" angle is that aluminum or steel?

Thanks,

Paul
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Aluminum is what ive used Paul , if you use steel id go with stainless as mild steel will rust after awhile, with aluminum you can polish it up really nice if you want and its easier to work with than steel, tonal qualities are good also ,as for the bridge part id go with nothing but brass , it cant be beat for tonal qualities , i use a 1/2 inch brass rod you can groove them or not groove them , however ive seen aluminum bridges that sound great , just something you might consider in your build . Russ
Paul Lafountaine

Thanks once again Russ,

It seems everyone swears that brass is the way to go for tonal quality for bridge and nut and I believe that. These are just my thoughts here, but I'm still in the experimental stage of building, so here goes:

Brass is a soft metal and I think it would provide a mellower sound, but less sustain. Stainless would provide better sustain as it is a harder metal, but a tinnier sound, to much twang. What do you think?

I do think Brass is a better choice.

Paul