another build

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Bent

Re: another build

Post by Bent »

Paul, I use 1" diam. brass fingers in the changer on my steels. I have had noting but positive remarks about the good sustain from professional players.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Good morning Russ,

Another question or two here. Do the brass rods for the bridge and nut rest on the body or are they suspend just above? Also, if they are resting on or just above, which way is better for tone and sustain.

Thanks,

Paul
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Paul , the brass bar is 1/4 inch above the neck , that ll make the top of the bar 3/4 inch from the top of the neck to the top of the brass bridge bar (1/2 inch bar) the fret board is right at 1/8 inch thick which will give 5/8 of an inch from neck to string distance.Ive seen some built with the bar resting on the neck and they sounded good also , personally i dont think it makes any difference one way or the other , i dont really have any set measurements that i go by i just build what looks good to me and works for me, I think good sustaining will come from useing brass for your bridge but then again aluminum will work very well as will stainless , maybe its all in what your ear tells you what sounds good , you can make make a bridge like the one i made and try brass then try a bar of aluminum and stainless try each one see what you like best there might be some synthetic material that will work good also, i thought of a glass bar ????? who knows it might work and sound great and delron plastic which is an industrial plastic super tough stuff thats used for bushings like brass is ya never know till you try it .Keep in touch and let me know how your doing .Russ
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Thanks Russ, your input is much appreciated.

Paul