About wood for a Squareneck acoustic Dobro

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
banjo980

About wood for a Squareneck acoustic Dobro

Post by banjo980 »

Hello,
My next project will be a 8 strings lap steel (Hi Bent:-)), still dont know about the style: Oahu tonemaster, or a carved "les paul" style... Anyway I own some nice figured maple thas's seasoning here in Noumea (Humidity over 80%...) but...
I could built one day an acoustic dobro-style guitar (to tune it in C6)
I could check my own F60 genuine Dobro but I can't manage to remove the cone (Hope it was not glued by Janet Davis when they set up the McIntyre PU...)
What can you tell me about the woods to use for back, top, sides (thickness++)?
Any idea for a blueprint?

Thank you for your help,

Xavier
Bent

Re: About wood for a Squareneck acoustic Dobro

Post by Bent »

Hi Xavier
I hope you can use the pup I sent you on your new project then. If you like it, fine. If not I would gladly make you another one.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
banjo980

Post by banjo980 »

Hi Bent, I keep your PU for the next lap steel, of course!!! I think I'll shape it as a Oahu tonemaster, easier to build than a carved top. Just waiting for the wood to be ready.

How long would you let the wood dry (I would say "humidify":-) ? I got it from France last september, it was already seasoned but there's much more humidity here in New Caledonia (tropical weather, and summer now with much rain and temeratures over 35 celsius)

Tha acoustic Dobro will be for later, I d'ont have anything to bend the sides, but I might look for the wood soon...
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

banjo980 wrote:. . . Any idea for a blueprint? . . .
I believe that Janet Davis, Paul Beard and Stew-Mac all offer kits for building Reso guitars, so any one of those might be a good source for blueprints or a book of plans. HTH.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Xavier, I would say if you got it from France in sept, by now it should have acclimatized (humidify as you put it). It has by now sucked in the humidity from your climate. It should now be safe for you to work it..cut, plane, sand etc etc without it warping. I would just wait and do the cutting sanding etc and finishing in one operation more or less.
Good luck my friend!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
BillinDurango

Post by BillinDurango »

Xavier, Re Wood choices for the reso, all maple has been my wood of choice for over 15 years. Usually described as bright, more volume than many woods, excellent sustain, very durable, attractive and good to work with. Ive owned walnut and plywood resos. Second most popular combination (IMO) would be spruce top w/ rosewood sides & back. Mahogany makes a great wood for resos also.( Always wondered why i haven't seen many spruce top with maple sides and back resos.) Keep us informed on your projects!
banjo980

Post by banjo980 »

BillinDurango wrote:Xavier, Re Wood choices for the reso, all maple has been my wood of choice for over 15 years. Usually described as bright, more volume than many woods, excellent sustain, very durable, attractive and good to work with. Ive owned walnut and plywood resos. Second most popular combination (IMO) would be spruce top w/ rosewood sides & back. Mahogany makes a great wood for resos also.( Always wondered why i haven't seen many spruce top with maple sides and back resos.) Keep us informed on your projects!
Thank you very much for your help!!
So figured maple would be a good choice... and would have a great look!
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Banjo980 -

Just a thought. Honduras Mahogany has been used by many guitar makers for the necks. My classic guitar was built in 1964. The neck - honduras mahogany - is as straight as an arrow - 47 years later! Seems like it might be a good choice for a square-neck. Just my experience.

Richard