National Lap Steel

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
audiokat

National Lap Steel

Post by audiokat »

Does anyone by chance on this board have one of these National's? I'm thinking I want to build my body after this and would love to get some measurements.
banjo980

Re: National Lap Steel

Post by banjo980 »

Hi Audiokat, I own one and built a replica (please see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=586)

I can send you measurements in mm for a 6 strings 1953 New Yorker. The scale is 23 inches and thickness is 40 mm
Max widht is 18 cm
overall length: 81.5 cm
Nut length: 5 cm
Head: 14.5 * 6.4 * 1.8 cm

Feel free to ask more

Xavier
audiokat

Post by audiokat »

banjo980 wrote:Hi Audiokat, I own one and built a replica (please see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=586)

I can send you measurements in mm for a 6 strings 1953 New Yorker. The scale is 23 inches and thickness is 40 mm
Max widht is 18 cm
overall length: 81.5 cm
Nut length: 5 cm
Head: 14.5 * 6.4 * 1.8 cm

Feel free to ask more

Xavier

I saw that build. What intense build. You have some skills. I'm actually recreating a Rocket. Much simpler but they look pretty cool as well. I would love a few clarifications and maybe a few other measurements if you can.

1. Is your nut length measurement the measurement of the actual nut or from Far string to far string. If not can you measure that and the measurement of the bridge from far string to far string?
2. Could you measure the string height at the bridge and nut? It might be the same measurement but just wanted to check.
3. What is the distance of the pickup from bridge and how high is it set?

Thanks in advance for the help!
banjo980

Post by banjo980 »

I'll be able to take all measurements tomorrow, Audiokat, just wait for a day...
audiokat

Post by audiokat »

banjo980 wrote:I'll be able to take all measurements tomorrow, Audiokat, just wait for a day...

That's perfect. Thank you so much!
banjo980

Post by banjo980 »

Hi Kat,
Checked the Lap steel with digital caliper this morning:
The neck is 51,15 mm at nut
The plexi fretboard is 47,5 mm at nut, 67 mm at the other end (37th fret)
The nut is 49 mm (but is not flush with the neck, I think it's a mistake... Even if it still looks OK after 58 years, It seems that the process building was "quick and cheap" about finish...
The outer strings distance is 43,45 mm at nut, 55,7 mm at bridge
The distance from the under part of the strings to the top of fretboard is 5,5 mm at nut and 9,6 mm at bridge

As you can see on the pics, the PU is a huge one and is against the bridge and is 68 mm long, 3 mm under the strings. the top screws of the PU are 47,3 mm from the bridge.

Feel free to ask more if needed

Good luck,

Xavier