acoustic console

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
azureskys

acoustic console

Post by azureskys »

Here is something a little different not really a lap more of a console i guess anyway they are both acoustic, i have a pickup on one and might put a contact pickup on the other but both can be played acoustically, one ten string and the other is an eight string, i used oak and pine for the bodies the necks are oak, my own tuner design which works very well stays in tune , legs are aluminum tubing , one has sound holes along the sides the other has sound holes on each end plus the top they both ring like a bell , there is enternal bracing inside for the tops , i should have made them a little thinner maybe next time ill do that anyway tell me what you think, like or dislike critiques are welcome , im easy to get along with lol. thanks for looking Russ
Attachments
steel guitars 015.JPG
steel guitars 015.JPG (160.91 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
Paul Lafountaine

Re: acoustic console

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Hi Russ, what a neat idea. I really like the looks and design of the one without the pickup. How good is the volume when played acoustically? Could you use it for jamming with other acoustic instruments? Which one has the better volume with regards to sound hole positioning? Post more pictures please!

Paul
azureskys

Re: acoustic console

Post by azureskys »

Hi Paul,the one with the sound hole on top is better for the player to hear, simply because the sound is comeing right in your face being on top like that, as for jamming with others on acoustic instruments im sure it would be fine as long as you would use finger picks , picking with just bare fingers kinda mutes the sound . One thing i should mention if i were to build another ill make the top thinner the tops on these are around 3/8 or better , i would diffinatly plane them much thinner, with a pickup i dont think it will really matter one way or another but to get that good acoustic sound id go down to around 1/8 inch with some strong braceing inside and on the neck id hollow out the underside on the table saw or maybe not even make a neck just lay a thin sheet of something for the fret markers might be good also , probly the less stuff you have on the sound board the better it will sound , might not look as pretty however. I used a brass bar for the bridge and 1/8 inch aluminum angle for the nut,I didnt groove the brass bar but id do it on another just to see if it makes any difference i dont know .The sides of both are about 3/4 of an inch , all i did was plane them done a bit to clean up the wood but id make them thinner if i was to do it again, more like on a reg guitar maybe . Something funny i thought i had something new NOT ha ha . today i read an earlier post and someone had something like this before something similar anyway .If i missed something Paul let me know ill try to answer back, but here again id say yes you can use it to play with other acoustic instruments just use finger picks it ll bring the sound out more , ( one thing i might mention under the bridge and tuner i used a piece of 1/2 inch oak to screw into) ( thats inside under the sound board) hope ya got that . Russ
michaelm

more pics !

Post by michaelm »

Very nice jobs, Russ. I like those a lot. I'm with Paul: How about a couple of more pictures with some close-up detail?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.