Lap Steel Number 2

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
DrByte

Lap Steel Number 2

Post by DrByte »

This is Lap Steel number 2, just a bit nicer than the first. It is 12 strings. Lots of wood gives it massive sustain and tone. It has two 6-pole single coil pik-ups. I used 5/8" precision ground bearing rod for the nut and bridge. It is 24" scale. I'm having a blast with it, played it about 3 hours last night. Let me know what you think!
More pics here: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/52182
Thanks for looking!
_DSC1695-web.jpg
_DSC1695-web.jpg (176.16 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
_DSC1702-web.jpg
_DSC1702-web.jpg (85.15 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
_DSC1703-web.jpg
_DSC1703-web.jpg (129.82 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
azureskys

Re: Lap Steel Number 2

Post by azureskys »

hi there , the guitar looks great very nice work . Russ
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

Hi, DrByte:
I like the laminated neck, and the individual key mount blocks.
What is the tuning for this one?
Conceive, believe, achieve!
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

I love the originality. That is the beauty of rolling your own. You did a great job. As Dave ask, I believe, what tuning are you using?

Paulie
DrByte

Post by DrByte »

Thanks guys. I'm using a tuning of my own concoction right now. I'm by no means a real steel player. Have been playing 6 string for a while. I have it tuned right now, starting with the string closest to your body, (please don't laugh, I'm having fun with it at least), (open G) G-B-D-G G-B-D-F G-D-G-Bb. This gives me a major chord with the first four stings, a seventh on the second four, and a minor on the third four. I have done lots of research and found nothing like it but it seems to work pretty good. I know I've got to get up to a C6 or something like that in the near future and I've got an 8 string started to do that with. I'm no lead player and know I never will be but like I said, it is a fun guitar to play and sounds great through a good amp with a 15" driver or even a Roland MicroCube.