What tool do you use to notch your bridge and nut?

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
TerryS

What tool do you use to notch your bridge and nut?

Post by TerryS »

I plan to use 3/8's brass for both the nut and bridge of my lap steel. I was going to use a triangular file to cut the notches but read somewhere that this is not the best way to cut a notch as you tend to get a "plunky" sound. Dont know if I could ever find that post again but in any case I know I cant afford to buy the proper nut files Stew Mac sell's unless I wanted to make a LOT of guitars! I havent tried it but I thought about mounting the brass in my drillpress and just holding the appropriate size string up to it and try to cut a notch. Not sure it would work and I'd better use gloves if I do cause its gonna get hot. No...better to wrap the string ends around a dowel. Then again I wonder If you really need the notches at all, especially at the bridge as I'm going through the body straight down from the bridge and it seems like that in itself would hold the strings in place. Would the triangular file be all that bad? Should I just get a guitar shop to cut the notches? I prefer to do it myself. How do you all cut them. I've seen a lot of good information and want to thank all of you that have taken the time to share your experience with us "New Guys". Thanks, TerryS.
michaelm

Re: What tool do you use to notch your bridge and nut?

Post by michaelm »

I've used a gas welding tip cleaner with good success in the past. This is a pack of short round files approximately the same diameters as guitar strings. These are available for a few dollars at any hardware or auto parts store that carries welding supplies. I've recommended this to others in the past and they reported success as well. If you plan to build many guitars, you will want to consider investing in the proper tools.

Depending on your design, you may need to notch only the nut. Often the string anchoring will space the strings over the saddle.

HTH.
Attachments
Tip Cleaner
Tip Cleaner
tipcleaner.jpg (67.64 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Michaelm -

Thanks for the reminder. Almost forgot all about those little rascals!

Richard
TerryS

Post by TerryS »

[quote="michaelm"]I've used a gas welding tip cleaner with good success in the past.

Thanks michaelm Looks like these will work for me.... at just my price!
Allan

Post by Allan »

I used these things last build - total success...
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Billy Gilbert

Post by Billy Gilbert »

I carried a set of those in my "work cloths" pocket for 30 years and never dreamed of using them for anything but tip cleaning. I'll have to give them a try.