New yorker replica: finished!

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Dave-M

Re: New yorker replica: soon to be finished!

Post by Dave-M »

Banjo:

I have checked out the circuit.
The north/south polarity markings are wrong.
Black/White belong to the neck pickup.
Red/Green belong to the bridge pickup.
Red and Black are the same polarity.
White and Green are the opposite polarity.
The Ground wire is attached to the shields of the two wire pairs to prevent hum.
There are four sections of six positions, each section having a wiper. All wipers move together.
The switch turned all the way counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise) has the wipers at position #1. You can see this happen when you rotate the knob and look at the works.
Wire the switch as the pictorial shows. One section is unused.

Position-1: Red shorts to White/Green shorts to Ground/Black goes out to Volume, Tone and Jack. = Both PU’s are in Series, and are in phase.

Position-2: White shorts to Ground/Green shorts to Ground/Red shorts to Black and goes out = Parallel in phase.

Position-3: Green is open/Red is open/ Black goes out/White shorts to Ground = Neck pickup only.

Position-4: Black is shorted to Red and White and goes out/Green shorts to Ground = Bridge pickup only.

Position-5: White shorts to Green/Red shorts to Ground/Black goes out = Series out of phase.

Position-6: White shorts to Ground/Red shorts to Ground/Green shorts to Black and goes out = Parallel out of phase.

If you draw the pickups on a piece of paper, one above the other (neck on top, black on top), and draw the wires and polarities as I have listed, you will understand what is happening better.

Note: When wiring, have all Ground wires connect together at ONE POINT
such as the back of the Volume control.
Conceive, believe, achieve!
banjo980

Post by banjo980 »

Hello Guys,
My "New Caledonian" is finished:-)

I recorded a sample sound (with my Iphone, dont wait for a top quality recording) backing track with Band in a Box, full of mistakes, just for the sound,
I had to lower the tone pot about 5/6 counterclockwise
And I have a problem: the 1rst string sounds "weak", "cheap", I dont know why... It's a 11 gauge, I'll try a 12 one

I wanted to thank all the people who helped me with their advices

Now, the wood is drying for the next one, a Les Paul style with flamed maple top, I 'll try to do a orange/yellow sunburst

Cold cold heart.mp3 - 2.19MB

Thank you,

Xavier
Bent

Re: New yorker replica: finished!

Post by Bent »

Xavier,
A great project has come to completion! Your quality work is an example for all of us. I heard your tune and considering the inferior recording equipment, it sounds very good. You have my deepest respect, my friend.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Xaiver, superb work and a very worthwhile project its always inspiring to see the creative process at work and your playing the instrument was pretty decent , keep at it , looking forward to your next project. Russ :D
banjo980

Post by banjo980 »

Dave-M wrote:Banjo:

I have checked out the circuit.
The north/south polarity markings are wrong.
Black/White belong to the neck pickup.
Red/Green belong to the bridge pickup.
Red and Black are the same polarity.
White and Green are the opposite polarity.
The Ground wire is attached to the shields of the two wire pairs to prevent hum.
There are four sections of six positions, each section having a wiper. All wipers move together.
The switch turned all the way counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise) has the wipers at position #1. You can see this happen when you rotate the knob and look at the works.
Wire the switch as the pictorial shows. One section is unused.

Position-1: Red shorts to White/Green shorts to Ground/Black goes out to Volume, Tone and Jack. = Both PU’s are in Series, and are in phase.

Position-2: White shorts to Ground/Green shorts to Ground/Red shorts to Black and goes out = Parallel in phase.

Position-3: Green is open/Red is open/ Black goes out/White shorts to Ground = Neck pickup only.

Position-4: Black is shorted to Red and White and goes out/Green shorts to Ground = Bridge pickup only.

Position-5: White shorts to Green/Red shorts to Ground/Black goes out = Series out of phase.

Position-6: White shorts to Ground/Red shorts to Ground/Green shorts to Black and goes out = Parallel out of phase.

If you draw the pickups on a piece of paper, one above the other (neck on top, black on top), and draw the wires and polarities as I have listed, you will understand what is happening better.

Note: When wiring, have all Ground wires connect together at ONE POINT
such as the back of the Volume control.
Thank you for the kind words :D

Dave, I only have 3 positions with a decent output level, the 3 other ones (and I dont know which ones, I didnt solder myself) have a VERY low output level... Is it normal?
Dave-M

Post by Dave-M »

Banjo:
The out of phase ones are fighting each other, like two people pushing a swing from opposite sides. The stronger guy gets it to move a little bit. I don't know why the designer included them.

To continue the analogy, with in-phase pickups, both guys are on the same side of the swing and get twice the movement of only one guy.

I have never heard the sound quality of out-of-phase pickups, compared to in-phase. Probably very low hum. Do they sound OK with the amplifier volume cranked up?

Series in-phase gives same current, but twice the voltage of 1 pickup.

Parallel in-phase give same voltage , but twice the current of 1 pickup.

Out-of-phase parallel gives no voltage, no current output, like two batteries connected head to tail in a circle. They short each other out, unless one is a bit stronger. Then you get the difference between them. There's lots of current inside the circuit, but it is running through the pickups or batteries producing heat, with nothing left over to run the amplifier. (The batteries would be ruined by this, but the pickups would still work afterwards).

Out-of-phase series do not short each other out, but voltages and currents cancel, like when you put one battery of a 2-battery electronic device in backwards. (The batteries are not ruined by this).
Conceive, believe, achieve!
banjo980

Post by banjo980 »

Thanks for your help Dave, now I understand
banjo980

Post by banjo980 »

Hello guys,

A new sample recorded directly in garageband (backing track: Band in a Box):
http://soundcloud.com/banjo980/beyond-the-reef

I like it more and more :-D