New yorker replica: finished!

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
banjo980

Re: First LS project: 8strings New yorker replica

Post by banjo980 »

Today I carved the junction between the neck and the headstock, and routed the nut notch...

Xavier
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Looking real good. You do nice work.

Paul
Bent

Post by Bent »

Xavier,
What Paul said, and I like your sense for detail. You have a good thing going here. Keep sending those detailed photos. As we say, they are worth a 1000 words.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
banjo980

Post by banjo980 »

I spent the free time of the last 2 days trying to master a CAD software to design the fretboard:

But I think it's worth the time... First, I could do a real simulation of what will be the nut with 8 strings... Do you think that 1.5 mm as margin will be enough for the 1st and 8th strings at the end of the nut?
Second, the inlays design... I designed them to fit the fretboard. Now I have the choice:
-Either I build an ebony fretboard, and inlay the frets in MOP or better in bone, and varnish it, that could be nice, and I own an ebony fretboard blank (but not the bone inlays) and I like inlay job
-Or the cheaper way: I print it on photo quality paper and cover it with acrylic lucite, and the problem will be to find the lucite here...

I will contact Andy DePaule at http://www.luthiersupply.com (he made a nice job for my previous instruments) to ask him if he can do something for me...

Next stage, the reshape of the headstock and the ebony veener...
I'm waiting for a piece od "bone" corian to build the nut and bridge I bought on Ebay...

Xavier
Paul Lafountaine

You do realize that by doing such fine work you are challenging me to have to do better EH! Keep up the good work Bud!

Paul
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

looking good there , i get a real kick out of seeing thing as they progress. Russ
banjo980

Post by banjo980 »

Paul Lafountaine wrote:You do realize that by doing such fine work you are challenging me to have to do better EH! Keep up the good work Bud!

Paul
Don't worry Paul, the job is not finished There are still so big mistakes to do...

Xavier
Paul Lafountaine

Is that big mistakes to make or big mistakes to correct? Looks really good!

Paul
Bent

Post by Bent »

Xavier, Looking very good so far! I love your detailed approach. It'll be one sweet looking lap steel!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Dunno if you can get such things where you are but I have been using real bone for nut making. I got the bone at the local pet store in the 'dog bone' bin. It was a large marrow bone that had been cleaned out and then stuffed with something or other that dogs like. I band sawed if in half and cleaned and boiled it - bingo - enough bone to make, probably six or eight nuts. Total cost, around five bucks. If I had studied the thing a bit more, before I cut it, I believe I could have got enough for one or two more blanks.
This is not my own idea, I saw someone (thanks, who ever it was!) suggest it as a source in an other forum - probably SGF. Worked well.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!