My First Lap Steel

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
ljs

Re: My First Lap Steel

Post by ljs »

When I found the guitar in the trash, it had the neck with tuners bolted to that block of Textolite. There was a Tele style bridge bolted on but the bridge was way out of location on the body for the scale length of the neck. I then tried to move the Tele bridge, but couldn't get it to the right distance between the nut and bridge so I just left it like that for a while. I then went to one of the local music stores and asked about a pickup. They got me one out of their back room, plus the volume pot. Didn't cost me anything.

I routed out the body for the pickup and pot. I got a piece of some kind of plastic 3/32" thick, also out of the trash hopper at shop. I made the pickup cover plate with that. I played it like that for a while with the bridge being out of location, and then just this past summer I milled out the aluminum bridge you see in the pictures and mounted it at the correct location.

The guitar belongs to my brother now and I asked him if I could remove that "ugly" textolite body and replace it with a nice piece of wood, but he is adamant about leaving it just as it is.
So that's how that one came to be. Thanks for asking.
LaVern