New Bridge

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
azureskys

New Bridge

Post by azureskys »

Here is a pic of a bridge i designed for my double 8 string, im not sure if i want to make the strings go through the body or through the piece of aluminum at the back of the bridge, probly the latter, anyway just thought someone might be enterested in seeing it . thanks . Russ
Attachments
bridge 002.JPG
bridge 002.JPG (167.69 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
bridge 001.JPG
bridge 001.JPG (157.89 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
Don McGregor

Re: New Bridge

Post by Don McGregor »

First off, just want to say I like the design. It looks like a great bridge, anyway you string it.
I would lean toward putting them through the back end of of the bridge, cutting down on the amount of extra string that would have to be stretched to do any behind the bard pulling. I've never been clear on just how much and when stringing through the body actually adds to sustain on any guitar body.
BTW, it looks like you've put string grooves in the rod. Is that necessary, since an accurate placement of string holders should hold the strings in the correct spacing, anyway?
Allan

Post by Allan »

I am with you on that Don. I built a Tele and drilled it for through body stringing. The tailpiece I used was capable of through body or tailpiece mounting. I tried both and found no difference in any aspect of the sound.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Yes i did put grooves for the strings , it probly wasnt neccessary but i think there is more string contact with the grooves hopefully more sustain. thanks for looking and commenting . Russ
BillyJ

Post by BillyJ »

Actually, I like the look of grooves in the nut. I plan on using Brass round rod for my next build and as I am no metal worker, I was going to ask a friend to machine the grooves all round the rod. I think the grooves gives a more professionally manufactured look to the bridge. Just my opinion. I'd buy bridges like yours. If ever available at a reasonable price. With regards to string through, I made a guitar shaped lap steel with thring thru. Going up over an LP bridge. It has massive sustain. However I havent made another without string thru to compare. For my next (an 8 string single neck console) I am planning to string it using bridge tailpiece.