8 String Console Plans

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
BillyJ

8 String Console Plans

Post by BillyJ »

Hi Guys
I am planning on building an 8 string singlehe neck console. I was wondering how thick body should be and also how thick the neck (top piece) should be. Also recommended width and length of body
I was also wondering if anyone had any console measurements or plans available. I was going to buy Glucks CD on lap steel and console building but was told it is total crap.

Thanks
Henry Songer

Re: 8 String Console Plans

Post by Henry Songer »

Billy, I have Gluck's plans for pedal and non pedal and they are fairly simple once you get the PDF print outs. He leaves quit a bit of latitude so you can modify them to your taste. I agree his pedal steel plans leave a lot to e desired. Henry
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

I have both c d s by gluck , you might to be able to learn alot , personally they got me going designing my own steel s pedel and non pedel, sure the info supplied by gluck can be improved on but its a good start even if you build a lower class instrument its still worth learning ,in my opinion you dont always have to have a high quality instrument to make decent music, if its cheap or expensive its still gonna make music . Russ
Allan

Post by Allan »

Just to put a finger in the pie - only an opinion but I belong to the 'it's total crap' side of the fence.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Bent

Post by Bent »

Allan wrote:Just to put a finger in the pie - only an opinion but I belong to the 'it's total crap' side of the fence.

Allan.....
Henry, I have the CD and I'll just put it like this: You'll learn more here on the forum
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
BillyJ

Post by BillyJ »

A guy I have communicated with about Gluck's lap steel CD reckons its ok if you want to print out the templates for a six stringer but there's other images on CD that you cant even see clearly.

I have a design of my own in mind and was looking for suggestions re width of body (and length of body) as well as thickness of body and also suggested thickness of top piece....5/8" maybe?

I'm planning a 22 1/2 scale single neck console
Henry Songer

Post by Henry Songer »

Bent wrote:
Allan wrote:Just to put a finger in the pie - only an opinion but I belong to the 'it's total crap' side of the fence.

Allan.....
Henry,

I have the CD and I'll just put it like this: You'll learn more here on the forum
Allan, I agree, I bought the CD some time back before I knew about this forum. I have got say that you guys are awsome. Henry