New 8 string Project started

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Paul Higgins

Re: New 8 string Project started

Post by Paul Higgins »

Hello from UK
An upadte and some photo's
Fretboard arrived today the last but one part I only ordred 1 instead of 2 so that is still to come...Ive had a few problems to over come on this one some still in the thinking stage,

I will try and explain it..the pick up was kindly made for me by Bent (thank yuou again )

I had ordered the fretboard so was governed by the thickness of it, that is a 3.10mm thick

So If I mounted the pup stright on the face I would have been something like 22mm higher than the fretboard..so I desided to fit it from the under neath so the pup could be set at something like 8mm higher than the face... Giving me 3mm gap from pup to strings and 10mm gap between fretboard and strings......
The nut and bridge holders where made to match...

All through the thought process it was my intention to fit pots from the back so I would up with a stright face without any cover thingies for the holes for the pots....

The problem is that the top of the pup is smaller and slightly different shape, so when the whole is cut perfect for the top as it comes through higher than the surface it is leaving a gap....So it looks like I will have to have a cover to hide the gap.....

The design of the pickup is designed to mount flush with the surface and then hollowed out from the top together with pots then the scratch plate covers it all..

But to have a cover to cover any gaps and have it flush the cover will have to be something like 3/4 of an inch thick This is a little difficult to explain If photo's are ok one will show pup flush with face the other in posision it has to go
looks l;ike photos too big I will resize then try again Regards Paul
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Hoping phot;s
botend.JPG
botend.JPG (110.92 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
flushpup.JPG
flushpup.JPG (133.87 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
flushpup.JPG
flushpup.JPG (133.87 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
fret.JPG
fret.JPG (108.55 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
fret.JPG
fret.JPG (108.55 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

picgap.JPG
picgap.JPG (118.21 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
So Sorry first I couldent get a photo now end up with doubles
Paul
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Looks real nice Paul :) ...keep up the nice work.

is that oak wood? :?:
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Hey Pat
Ive put a quote from first post
I collected my wood today again 100 + mile round trip..
The wood is Indigbo is looks alot like Oak but a lot cheeper.....

I spoke to one of the carpenters that work for the timber company who said he hates the stuff he says it terrible to work with very hard ( that was after I had paid for it..

Yea it realy dose look like oak.....and yea it is not too nice to work with..difficult to explain...
its like hard wood but like a biscut (cokie ) it seems very crumbly when working with it....

I think I sorted out my mistake's not making the fretboard high enough for the pick up, will see when finished...

Strings arrived from B0B SGF today dont know where they have been till now prob custom's
Holes for the turners done ( I have to dodge the rain ) so to do it out doors,
Just to do the back plate and line the cavity's with copper foil and then cleen up and finnish..

The finish it is a bit pointless trying to get a deep shile with the wood being so light, so prob give a few coats of true oil.....
Trouble is once you get this far carnt wait to try it (notice I say try not play as I am still learning ) but it is starting to get somewhere now...the cat has stopped screaming and running up the wall...
Prob Bent also carnt wait to see the results of his pick up....But Im sure it will be fine....

Rehgards Paul
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Hello
I had a phone call from a friend today who said my post explaining the problems sounded as if I was blaming the pickup......

This was not my intention and if I have offended anyone please except my full appoligies
The problems fitting the pick up are mine alone...which was caused by not thinking and going a head with ordering the fretboard before I had thought it out properly...

The humbucker on my other one was a whole different set up and I marked the new one out in the same way.....so my fault in tirely........
I have re-read the post and dont realy see where it could cause offence BUT if I have again I appoligise...

Kindest Regards Paul