dual 8

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
azureskys

dual 8

Post by azureskys »

Here is a Double 8 im working on , It is pine no hardwood here , i have two wallace pups and a bag full of keys ,i wanted to show this leg arrangement in case someone might want something like it im useing galvenized pipe that will screw into the brackett shown , i milled the sides of each piece so they wouldnt stick out over the wood that connects the two bodies, anyone have any idea s for a bridge and nut out there? In case anyone is wondering why pine,well pine is a very resonant wood soft yes but very good tone wood as for a finish , heck i might leave it as is might paint it might just clear it anyway comments welcome and thanks for looking as for the knots it gives it charactor. Russ
Last edited by azureskys on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bent

Re: dual 8

Post by Bent »

Russ, Good!! Finally someone makes a steel guitar in pine. Pine is closely related to spruce and what is used a lot in acoustic guitar tops? Spruce, right?!
I'll be following this one.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Nice one! I have never been one to blindly go along with the 'tone wood mythology'. I'll be watching this one with interest too.
Leo Fender had a bit of a reputation for taking the mean route. He used pine for some of the early Broadcasters and Telecasters and look where that led too!!!

If someone starts in on the tone wood snob stuff with me I just tell them to go and search for the Taylor answer to that subject. They made an AMAZING guitar out of a couple of old oak pallets from the back of the factory - just to prove a point. Here it is if you are interested.The strange marks on the back and sides are where nail holes were filled in by pouring in melted aluminum.

One of the BEST instruments I ever had was an Epiphone 310 solid bodied electric (Strat clone) which I discovered was made from multiply.

Please keep us up to date on this one.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Bent

Post by Bent »

Good point Allan! Just look at Willie Nelson's beat up old guitar. It's got a hole in the top, worn from the pick and it sounds like a million bucks!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Allen , i also remember reading that story about taylor building that guitar from an oak pallet and i believe some fender guitars are still made from pine it might be the squire models , I have tons and tons of oak and pine wood along with aromatic red ceder and cherry , this particular guitar is treated white pine , i was thinking of building a palm pedel here on this one kinda like dusenburg has , i think i know how it works , might be able to move a few strings (up or down )with a palm pedel setup anyway ill keep ya ll posted and thanks for commenting. Russ
Last edited by azureskys on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Bent your right about useing pine and spruce on guitars and did you know that it is used for violin bellies also ( tops) pine is a great tone wood , i made this violin about 6 years ago useing pine and oak and it has a beautiful sound very nice tone. Spruce wood is a bit harder than pine white pine that is but southern yellow pine is almost as hard as spruce , one thing about soft pine is that it dosent take a good stain it soaks the stain up real bad then it s blotchy anyway so much for that lol . Russ
Last edited by azureskys on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mac639

Post by mac639 »

This is interesting... I have a friend that's made several beautiful bluegrass mandolins and guitars. I was at his shop one time and he made me shut my eyes, gave me a guitar and say's "do you like the sound of this?" It was great... I take a look at it, and the top was made from a piece of used countertop formica. Also some of the cedar top Takamine guitars are great. Our son who's a full time musician has worn a "Willie" hole in the top of his cedar top one and it still is an awesome guitar. For me it's all in the bracing and the graduation at the edges that makes a great guitar sound.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

a bit of progress here , if i make a palm pedel out of this ill add brass rollers , if not ill just install a bit of brass for the nut , anyway here it is with necks and fret boards just layed together i wanna get it all together then ill take it apart and do final sanding and contouring, darn i like it so much maybe a pedel steel based on this might be in order ha ha one thing for sure is when you get creating you ll have new ideas come up , gezzzzz what should i do Bent ha ha , check it out comments welcome . Russ
Last edited by azureskys on Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Pretty much all acoustic intruments have a spruce top for better resonance, and maple, birch or cherry are usely used for the sides and backs , some even has a spruce top cover with a veneer of exotic wood ect... :)
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

azureskys wrote:a bit of progress here , if i make a palm pedel out of this ill add brass rollers , if not ill just install a bit of brass for the nut , anyway here it is with necks and fret boards just layed together i wanna get it all together then ill take it apart and do final sanding and contouring, darn i like it so much maybe a pedel steel based on this might be in order ha ha one thing for sure is when you get creating you ll have new ideas come up , gezzzzz what should i do Bent ha ha , check it out comments welcome . Russ

Hi Russ
looking good so far....
please forgive my ignorance but what is a palm pedel ?

Also why have a double is it that they are both tuned diffrently ?
I think pine has had a bad reppretation due to the knots and poss twisting..

Best of luck with the rest of it Regards Paul