lap project finished

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Paul Higgins

Re: lap project finished

Post by Paul Higgins »

Thank you Russ sorry about the name in the other two replys..

and thanks for the advice...I think the penny might be dropping a bit you say

"the prettiest way to play any instrument is to learn chord melody, that is playing a chord for every note thats in the melody and also playing single notes along with that , every key that you play has a scale and that scale can be made up of single notes or chords that are inside that key,

can i take looking at the notes on a tab it seems that one note is the melody, and this is where the other note's come from..the chord..so im playing a chord with the melody in ...

I know it wont be as simple as that but am I in the rigt field...
Did you see my post on SGF transcision from keyboard to steel as far as the notes go...Best Regards Paul
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Im not sure i got what you ment but , every melody is composed from a scale whatever scale it might be , however at times you might play notes that are out of that particular scale but you will always go back to that scale this is called chromatic playing or outside notes or passing notes, try this , play the notes c d e f g in order( single notes ) now play that chords c d e minor f g , what do you hear ? its the same isnt it only with a fuller sound and you are playing the notes in the c scale or the chords that are in the key of c right? what to do first is learn it as a single scale then learn it as chords ( whatever melody you are wanting to learn). Russ
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Thanks Russ
Quote"what to do first is learn it as a single scale then learn it as chords ( whatever melody you are wanting to learn). Russ

I understand that bit if it is CDEFG that is scale of C..if it is DEFGABC that is D and if it is efga and so on am I correct? in think that..?

But what I dont understand at the moment is where is the C scale D scale and so on on the guitar ? and if something is said to be in D then where are the notes for D on Guitar..

There is something I am missing and carnt seem to grasp somehow...

What I ment was Ihave some tution tab's book hear and they start you on single notes then build up to 3 which you have now explained is the chord ( if I am thinking along the right lines )
BUT on the tabs that 3 notes at a time if I play only the top one it seems to be the meldoy only...I hope I am starting to understand otherwise Im getting noware fast

Thank you once again for trying to get through to me (not easy ) I know Best Regards Paul
Fred Wright

Post by Fred Wright »

Paul: What a beautiful guitar!

Russ: I'm having the same trouble as Paul. Once I get offline, I'm going to take your advice relative to note/chord relationship. Thanks! Fred
Allan

Post by Allan »

Paul said:- I understand that bit if it is CDEFG that is scale of C..if it is DEFGABC that is D and if it is efga and so on am I correct? in think that..?

It's not quite that simple Paul.
I don't think this is the place to go too deeply into music theory but here are a few pointers for you.

I'm only going to look at scales for now, single notes. The basic do, re, me, fa, so, la, te, do consists of seven notes and then the octave note. (the second do) The scale is broken down into two tetrachords. That means groups of four notes. They are called the lower tetrachord - do, re, me, fa - and the upper tetrachord - so, la, te, do. The two tetrachords have a relationship with one another based on musical interval. It works like this - the interval between the notes looks like we see here:

do-----------re------------me-----------fa
so-----------la-------------te-----------do
---tone----------tone----------semi-tone---

In addition, the tetrachords are separated by a tone. So, the whole thing looks like this:

do----------re-----------me----------fa----------so----------la-----------te----------do
---tone---------tone--------semi-tone---/-tone-/-------tone---------tone------semi-tone---

As far as your guitar goes, a semitone is one fret and a (full)tone is two frets.
scales.jpg
scales.jpg (66.69 KiB) Viewed 959 times
To keep it simple I have only referred to sharp notes, no reference to flats.
It is possible that, if your computer is set up with a UK character set, you will see pound symbols in place of the hash. It means 'sharp' either way.

Look at what I have written and look at the scale in 'C' then compare it with the other keys and it should start to make sense before too long.

I hope this has all worked - it is really difficult to set up tables directly in the forum. If nothing lines up I will see about setting it up here and posting it as a graphic later.

(Edited to add a graphic table.)

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Hello Allan
Hope you paint job worked out for you...
I think I can see what you mean..I say think as I need to go over it again and again to make sure I know it....
I also had a link from Dom for a chart which is very good so together with all the bits and pieces Im now getting somewhere..Ill know for certain when I try and put it in to practice tomorrow ( its a bit quiter then.gran children come on Sunday 9 2 and 1 ages so you can imagine what the house is like today )

To be honest I was on the point of saying give up on that bit and just learn to play tabs...
but I did want more than that...( I wish I had listerned in school now )
http://www.freewebs.com/steelman777/ste ... essons.htm
you have to look a little bit depending on the size of your screen ..at the bottom of a page..

Oh by the way while im here The CAP he gave me was 0.22 not 0.022
Thank you once again..warmest regards Paul
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Fred Wright wrote:Paul: What a beautiful guitar!

Russ: I'm having the same trouble as Paul. Once I get offline, I'm going to take your advice relative to note/chord relationship. Thanks! Fred
Hi Fred Dom on SGF sent me this link it dose help an awfull lot together with all the other posts
it has helped me..
Regards Paul