lap project finished

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Paul Higgins

lap project finished

Post by Paul Higgins »

Hi .........
with a bit of luck I hope to enclose some photo's
Im saying finished but not quite...as in other post a messed up on the fretboard so have made an other from ply temp and the same with the cover for controls..I am looking for some mag or sapele also the frets get dammaged when removing them from the old one..
I have left a gap in the pick up cavity so as to experiment with the sound moving it further from the bridge..one ive desided on posision I will mount it on an other piece of wood covering any gaps...
Ive done photo of controls wireing...
and some of the guitar completed...the bits to change can be change with it complete, and I can use it while waiting....

It has tuned up alright to C6 and to me sound good..
I am open to constructive criticism and feel some improvements could have been make and if I do an other one there are bits and pieces I would change...

I have to say a big THANKS to Allan for all his help...
Now the hard bit got to learn to play it !!!
The little bit I have tried before posting this if feels so different from the other one..so might be one step back till I get used to it...
Thank you once again for the help given
Warmest regards paul
Attachments
n1.JPG
n1.JPG (109.88 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
n3.JPG
n3.JPG (107.66 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
n4.JPG
n4.JPG (108.84 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
Bent

Re: lap project finished

Post by Bent »

Great looking guitar Paul! I am sure you will get many years enjoyment out of that one.
I also predict that this won't be the last one you make.
Keep goin my man!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

I'm with Bent on that one - bet it ain't yer last one. Paul, you are now officially HOOKED!
Is it heavy? That looks like it would make a GREAT console guitar. Did you ever think about putting legs on it?

Looks good, when do we get to hear it?

Well done Paul. Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

That is real nice Paul ;) ...that's a project that i have in mind for the futur :)

nice job again Paul.............................Pat C. :)
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Hello
Thanks for your kind comments..
Yes it is still quite heavy I will weigh it out of interest and let you know...
I also go with Bent I dont think it will be the last..altho the next I fell would be better due to I wouldent be waiting for it as I have on this one, due to the one I bought sounding awlful..
and of cause the mistakes Ive made along the way I will see them comming..
and have a better idea all around..

BUT a Great big BUT I now have to devote my time to the learning it could be gold plated but no good if one carnt play it..also I belive I will need a volume pedal that is the next outlay....
To be honest with you when I think back to my first posts I have learned a lot not just put that there ( but the why dose that go this way0)

Again to be honest if I can devote the same amount of time and love that went into making it into learning I should be playing in no time...

I managed to do most of the work outside in the garden thanks to the great weather we dont normaly get this time of the year...Guess what its raining today !!
Pat you should have no trouble with your project after making your pedal..
I only hope now I can play it half as good as others I heard...

I have also got to look get into the backing side of it as Ive been used to having backings on keyboard built in...
I have no idea on all this thing they do to get the backings...
thank you once again I will sort out some mp3 to hear how it plays when ive learned something that passes as ok..
Warmest Regards Paul
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Helo again
I have to come back and post
Ive had time today to practice ( I was going to write play ) but thought better not to)
I am realy pleased with the sound.
I have lookat the tutarial vid'sagain and Hey it sounds a lot like what Im hearing from the vid's I know it will never sound the same
as in the way sound is reproduced on the tv / vid.. but it dosent sound like a cat in pain any longer, (untill i hit the wrong notes )

So thank you to thoes resposcable for running the forum to actualy make it happen and thoes without their insperation it wouldent have gone ahead...( I know there are other forums out there that do the same job to be P.C but Im on this one )

Also thoes that have read Allan for his great help ( think he should have been a teacher ) I have learned sooooooooo much..
Also not forgeting the other list too long to write that have responded with their help....

I actualy enjoy Practice now
Best Regards Paul...I have this picture in my mind of my next one.. as they say dont tell the wife !!
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Fantastic , i really like that , everything flows with your design very eye appealing . Russ
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

a little tip for you paul , learn as many chords as you can they are most important , pratice pratice you ll get there set small goals , soon you ll be playing whatever you want . russ
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Thank You Azureskys
The design I dident realy know what I was aiming for I got to be honest a lot of insperation was taken from other maker's /manufactures with out doing a direct copy..

I will take you up on your advice I have today been practicefor quite a while today..as I said its more inspiring when it sounds like the vid or cd
and if i do say my self am happy with what I have done today..I have been doing some chords I remember them alright but still takes practice to pluck the right strings..

Thank you once again for your kind words Regards Paul
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Chords are where all music comes from so in effect knowing your chords and knowing the notes inside the chords are of utmost importance if you want to be well versed in your music , example play a chord and find out what notes make up that chord , hum them to yourself and get them in your head so when ever you hear them again in any song you ll know what to play , the prettiest way to play any instrument is to learn chord melody, that is playing a chord for every note thats in the melody and also playing single notes along with that , every key that you play has a scale and that scale can be made up of single notes or chords that are inside that key, to give you an example lets start with the key of Cmajor the notes are as follows c d e f g a b then back to C the corosponding chords will be C major D minor E minor F major G major A minor B diminished then it all comes back to C Major.This is just a beginning music can be a life long journey that ll bring you much pleasure to yourself and others, got any questions just ask ill try to help you if i can. Russ