Need some help with Measurements Please

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Allan

Re: Need some help with Measurements Please

Post by Allan »

Hello again,

So you didn't cut it yet, that's fine. You need to be aiming at a height of half an inch approximately above the fretboard. (around 10 to 12mm would work) You should check that you have enough height available in the pickup adjustment to bring the top of the pickup to about the thickness of two 2p pieces below the strings. If you find that is not possible with the mounting ring that you have you may need to build a secondary ring to go under the one that comes with the pickup. Once you are up and running you can adjust the pickup height using the screws to get the sound that you want. You will probably not want to come any closer than that starting point though. Don't forget that the magnets in the pickup will reduce the strings vibration if the pickup is too close. That affects the sustain of the guitar. Anyhow, that is something you can check and adjust once you get to the stage of getting the strings on. No harm is done if you get too close so no worries. It just stops the guitar ringing properly and moving it away from the strings fixes that. There is a lot of scope for experiment at that time.

Hope this answers your question for now. It was good to see the pics. Hope to see a pic of you playing it soon! :)

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Thank you once again Allan..
again such a complete answer...not just do it this way but this way because...(if that make any sense )
Ive finished the main cutting out..marked the fret board thanks to your drawing (thank you )
now sitting getting a tan while cutting slots out (what a boreing job ) and got to cut out the fret markers ( i will have gone nuts by then..) I have marked the 24" from nut to bridge, so I think the next step will be to adjust the nut carrier so as to get the 1/2 10mm space between fret board and strings then I can check hight and posision of pickup..

Slightly off the subject..my wife said to say thank you..!!!on a personal note I breed Peregrine Falcons and this time of the year is either very busy or a waiting time..nail biting time ( I breed A I ) She says this time of the year I am murder to live with
on edge all the time and if we ever get a divorce it will be this time of the year...!
she recons that my mind has been taken off from constant consern for the birds and eggs 24hrs a day..7 days a week she says she gets fed up of hearing about them constant...
but now more layed back because my mind is on other things now...( she dosent know it's just age realy )

now I worry about a bit of wood..but that's me its the way I am......,
thank you once again ( got to take some valium now) Paul
Regards Paul
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Hello......
Things comming together a bit now I will try and post some pics..
done a bo bo on the fret board dident look right then i noticed the frets where not square with the side..
when I checked they where out....I had used the wrong square that had gone out of square
so I have to make a new one..
I had my son to do the electric's while he was at our home....
the nut is done also the bridge and the string holder..lined the caverties with copper foil bridged them altogether..
The brass rod I ordered taken down to 3/8, groves for strings set at 3/8..in the nut, and was enough to do all three..Tested and all working...got to do the face plate for the volume and tone controls.. and tidy everything up.
Little disipointed with the color of the timber, I haven t come a cross maple before I thought it would be a bit darker than it is...and yet I dident want it too dark like mahogany or sapele..and yet I found it good to work with..but it looks like soft wood..
So far so good but if I was making an other there are a few things I would have done differently to make life easyer

"The question Ive been waiting for..recomended string Gauge's Please..
Oh I ordered inlays but dont know what Ive done with them carnt find them anywhere...So I will probly order stick on ones..( Hong Kong ) so I can complete.and then put them on when they come....just put some stickey dots on while im waiting...

It goes without saying but I will say it again I wouldent have been able to do it if it hadent been for the forum and Allen taking me under his wing..
Once completed Ill find how and where to be able to put an MP3 file so at least ( not my playing yet ) hear what it sounds like.....
Warmest Regards Paul
Allan

Post by Allan »

Strings...

This will depend on the tuning you want to use. However, you will probably find all the information you could possibly want (and a lot more) right HERE.
Getting close to the moment of truth huh...

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Allan wrote:Strings...

This will depend on the tuning you want to use. However, you will probably find all the information you could possibly want (and a lot more) right HERE.
Getting close to the moment of truth huh...

Regards, Allan.....
Thank you Allan... yes moment of truth nearly there..
made new fretboard..few bits and pieces ut wont be long now..
STRINGS
I fully intend to purchase some string sets from the forum I think its a good idea to surport..especaly after the help Ive had..
But again 10 days waiting..so I thought I would buy some localy..but in a 10 mile raidus I carnt get 26 plane..
I looked on the link you gave me and the C6 has 26 plane, and them i remember there is a part on the tutorial dvd that they say what strings they are useing for C6..But again 26 plane..
For now while i order from forum and waiting I have had a 26 nickel wound string
Is it possible to predict the difference it will make?? or will the set not go together..
14, 17, 20, 26 nickel wound 32, 38, both nickel wound or am I asking too much for one to try and guess the out come..
The guitar I bought and do not like at all as you might have mentioned as will as having the adjustable string holder it is made from hollow fiberglass ( no I havent saw'n it in half YET )
is this normal ??..
I ve said that this was a cheep guitar, but adding up the one I am making the cost is almost the same if not less..
apart from the love that has gone into it and the bag lauguage of cause..I only hope it sounds like some of the ones i been listening to
do some photo's and post them..
Alan thanks for the link for info on attachments..Ill have an other go..
Warmest regards Paul
Allan

Post by Allan »

Hard to put the difference in sound into words Paul. I have used wound and plain strings in that position. It will be a 'brighter' sound with the unwound string. But the difference varies from guitar to guitar and pickup to pickup. Generally I would go for unwound. It's highly personal.
Fiberglass guitars are not common. I have heard of them, never tried one though. What make is it? I would be interested to look it up on the net just out of interest.
Don't know if you ever said but what are you doing to finish your guitar? Lacquer or what are you thinking?

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Hi Allan
I am going to order a few sets from the forum that include the unwound.
but as i said its the time delay on del. so we will see how this other one sounds..
( Im taking it that all is ok and the whole thing sounds good)

The guitar is called jagard
its hard to explain but an example is if it is on and connected to amp if you pick it up you can hear it through the amp its not a buzz its like some one on stage and they handle the mic or tap it or rub it..the tone only works for a tiny bit of the turn and then nothing...it is very treble for want of a better way to put it..

Finishing as I mentioned I am disipointed with the color as I dont think ive ever seen see maple before. not sure if there are different as in light or dark..it looks like soft wood..

with this in mind I was thinking of useing a die. teak, mag. something like that,
BUT the only thing is I have never seen one that actualy looks like the color they say it dose.. so in limbo a min..

but i think either way a light coat of laquer..I dont think I want it too shinney.a slik finish would be better....
Oh what I have done is I have made the cavity a bit longer than the pickup so I can experiment..I have worked it that which ever posision I deside on.. the gap can be consealed..
Thank you once again for taking the time to help..
Warmest regards Paul