machine head's/turners

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Paul Higgins

machine head's/turners

Post by Paul Higgins »

Hello
could I ask please for info on turners. 8 string..what not to buy..
and any other info you would like to share..Ive had a look at some of the outlets. Ive seen mentioned in some of the posts..I would like to get in the uk if poss to avoid customs charges pluss the time taken to get them..... at the mo I know very little
I notice some are enclosed and some you can see the cog is there a reason for this, I know there must be but carnt think why or what is the best..
Thank you in advance Regards Paul
Pat Comeau

Re: machine head's/turners

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi paul,...you should get the ones that you don't see the gear cause it will last longer IMO, look for some grovers if you can affort it or any good tuners wil do. :)
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Pat Comeau wrote:Hi paul,...you should get the ones that you don't see the gear cause it will last longer IMO, look for some grovers if you can affort it or any good tuners wil do. :)
Thanks Pat...
grovers is that the make ?
Thanks Paul
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Yes Paul...it is the make, the're expensive but any other cheaper tuners should do the same job IMO. :)

Pat C.
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Pat Comeau wrote:Yes Paul...it is the make, the're expensive but any other cheaper tuners should do the same job IMO. :)

Pat C.
Thank's Pat..we dont seem to have the choice you have over there, or I carnt find alot of suppliers..but trying to avoid import tax as I mentioned before on the slide..they charge our vat..that is bad enough but it then cost's an other £8.00 to collect it...
My timber should be ready soon carnt wait ill be glad to get started as mine sounds terrible compared to all the stuff I been listening to..I will do an other post and hopefully get all the other measurements I need..

Thank you again for your help Regards Paul
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Paul Higgins wrote:
Pat Comeau wrote:Yes Paul...it is the make, the're expensive but any other cheaper tuners should do the same job IMO. :)

Pat C.
Thank's Pat..we dont seem to have the choice you have over there, or I carnt find alot of suppliers..but trying to avoid import tax as I mentioned before on the slide..they charge our vat..that is bad enough but it then cost's an other £8.00 to collect it...
My timber should be ready soon carnt wait ill be glad to get started as mine sounds terrible compared to all the stuff I been listening to..I will do an other post and hopefully get all the other measurements I need..

Thank you again for your help Regards Paul
Hello again
The turners / machine heads have come with what I would call ferrels, there are 6 of them so I take it one for each turner...
What end do the go would it be the string end or the end with the knob on..I hazzard a guess that they would go on the string end stopping the peg rubbing the timber, but I would like to know for sure...
Drawing for the head is done now and seems to work out ok.
Allan has kindly sent a fret drawing..so think Im almost ready to go..Ill post some pics as I go along..Thanks Regards Paul
Allan

Post by Allan »

You are right, they go on the outer end of the string post.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Paul Higgins

Post by Paul Higgins »

Thank you Allan.
Ive got some photo's soon..once i resize them.Ill post progress on the other post
Best regards Paul