I guess it must be spring - winter project finished at last!

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Allan

I guess it must be spring - winter project finished at last!

Post by Allan »

Well, I guess there comes a time when you need to stand up and be counted, or have bricks thrown at you or what ever. So here it is, my turn as the target.
My winter project. My shop is NOT suitable for winter work so I decided that I would use only stuff from the spares box and see what came out of it. Took all winter to make at a rate of an hour here and an hour there.
SG2.jpg
SG2.jpg (33.68 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
It will be going off to Houston in a day or two. My Son In Law is going to play it. (since I don't know how! :) )
I am going to change out the nut before I send it because I think it will sound a little more mellow with one made from bone. The current aluminum one is just a bit too bright and jangly to my ears. I will send him both and he can decide what he wants to use.
Direct spending on this thing was around $12. The rest came out of the junk drawer and the wood rack.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
c. winn

Re: I guess it must be spring - winter project finished at last!

Post by c. winn »

Great work, Allan - I dig the asymmetrical design.

Between the alum nut & the P-90, that thing must be a screamer!
Bent

Post by Bent »

Twelve bucks Allan?? Nah you must be pulling our leg. seriously, this is a project that you can be proud of. I think it looks super and would love to hear how it sounds!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Thank you gents.
Yes, it is a screamer indeed. Too much of one for me really. That's why I am changing out the nut. It has way too much treble in the tone for my liking. I have just finished shaping a bone nut. It just needs to be slotted. The design was inspired by two things. One, I kind of like the look of the Duesenberg Pomona 6. This is a simplified version of that shape.
Two, The task I set myself was to use what I had on hand. That was the what I could get out of the chunk of wood that was there.
Bent, the parts in there obviously are worth more than that but the $12 was what I had to spend over and above what was on hand to get it done.
As regards hearing it, no promises. I seriously can't play the thing! I will tune it up something like a Dobro once I get the new nut on it and TRY to get a wee tune out of it. I can't play a Dobro either but I do understand the tuning, so, I can do that and it is not too horrendous, I will post it. Otherwise, you will have to wait till I get something back from my Son In Law.
Have you all seen this thread? http://www.steelguitarbuilder.com/forum ... ?f=2&t=142 That is how I got the material for the replacement nut. Bone is not easy to work with due to it's hardness. But that is what makes it such a fine material for nuts and bridge saddles - swings and roundabouts. A doggie bone has given me enough material for probably 6 or even 8 nuts.
Oh, but wait - oh no! The spending on this guitar has just gone up to $16.50!!! And me a Scotsman too. Woe is me!!!

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Looks good Allen