What size bit for thru-body string holes?

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
c. winn

What size bit for thru-body string holes?

Post by c. winn »

Just wondering what size drill bit folks use for their string-thru-body holes, and any other relevant info they'd like to share regarding the string-thru process.

Thanks -
Allan

Re: What size bit for thru-body string holes?

Post by Allan »

If you intend to use ferules, have a look on the stewmac site. They have full details of drilling and fitting those. It's a nice way to go. I have used them from there on a tele-clone I made a couple of years back.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

I've used 1/8" steel pop rivets with the center pulled out, top & bottom, seemed to work well for me not as pretty as what Allan talks about but I just wanted a cheap playable lap.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
c. winn

Post by c. winn »

Ahhhh...Stew-Mac. Should've thought to check there first....

I've decided to forego individual rear-entry string ferrules. I'm building an 8 string, and I thought I'd make a solid metal plate recessed into the back to hold the ball-end of the strings. Not as pretty as individual ferrules, but for some reason I really like the idea - like a visible bridge plate.

Of course, stew-mac has the info. They recommend 3/8" or 5/16" - will follow through with that.

Thanks for the directions! I'm very pleased to have found this forum.

-C