Looking for 8 string Keyhead tracing

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Pat Comeau

Re: Looking for 8 string Keyhead tracing

Post by Pat Comeau »

Those would do fine, you only have to make a little hole for the pin and they should fit, usely the keyhead is 1/2" wide that is the standard on almost all guitars. :)
Attachments
8%20Str%20Grab.jpg
8%20Str%20Grab.jpg (11.48 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
Allan

Post by Allan »

Dylan,

The pics are great. I do need a couple more dimensions. I have the drawing just about done so if you can get these to me I will finish off tomorrow and get it to you by the evening if I can.
need dims.jpg
need dims.jpg (11.14 KiB) Viewed 6206 times

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Allan

Post by Allan »

Hey! Get out of my head!

Too funny, you posted the answers to my question as I was asking it.

OK Dylan, I'll try to get it all done tomorrow.

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

You talkin' to me......... :lol:
Allan

Post by Allan »

The voices made me do it! :twisted:
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Dylan730

Post by Dylan730 »

Allan

Post by Allan »

Dylan, here you go. Let me know if this fits your need. I have dimensioned it fully as you said it would be programmed into a CNC router. You will have to do the decimal inch conversions yourself if the system needs that.

Regards, Allan.....
Attachments
Grov210c_schem.pdf
(11.65 KiB) Downloaded 396 times
Grov210c1.pdf
(5.33 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
Grov210c2.pdf
(5.11 KiB) Downloaded 367 times
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Dylan730

Post by Dylan730 »

I think this is going to work out perfect. Thanks
Allan

Post by Allan »

Pat Comeau wrote:Those would do fine, you only have to make a little hole for the pin and they should fit, usely the keyhead is 1/2" wide that is the standard on almost all guitars. :)
Hi Pat, I don't know for sure, because I have never actually seen these things, but I am assuming that the limit of .4" quoted is due to the length of the threaded bushing which is what holds the machines in to the head. That is what was in my mind when I was asking if they were OK to use in a wooden head. I think these may be a new product, I don't know for sure. The standard guitar type that I tend to use is well suited to a half inch thickness. The original drawing that I posted is based on that thickness.

It's just a feeling but I think a wooden peg head will be OK at .4" so long as it is properly attached to the guitar. When I build with this style of head I glue the head to the guitar with a two part glue and then drill and screw from below at each step change. With a good hard wood used for the head and pre-drilling to prevent splitting at the attachment stage I think this will be just fine.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.