Looking for 8 string Keyhead tracing

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Tim

Looking for 8 string Keyhead tracing

Post by Tim »

Hi
I am looking for a 8 string keyhead tracing that I can use to build a template to use with a router

thanks

Tim
Pat Comeau

Re: Looking for 8 string Keyhead tracing

Post by Pat Comeau »

Hi Tim, i might have something for you...give me your email and i'll send it to you. :)
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hi Pat
sent you an email

thanks
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Tim...email sent. :)
Dylan730

Post by Dylan730 »

I am also looking a drawing in order to make a keyhead template by for an 8 string console.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Interesting, have you guys got what you need yet? If not, post a few more details and I will make a quick CAD drawing for you.
What type of tuning machines are you going to use? How many strings? Stepped or straight? Vertical or horizontal string posts? Width of fretboard at the nut? Anything else you think of that will affect the head.

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Allan

Post by Allan »

I have been asked about this drawing that I mentioned so I went ahead and made it this morning.
Here is what the drawings look like:
8 Str Grab.jpg
8 Str Grab.jpg (30.3 KiB) Viewed 41912 times
If you wish to use these, simply download the attached .PDF files and you should be off and running.
You will see a circle on each drawing. This is a check on the dimensions for when the PDF's are printed. It is needed because some printers will hide the scale factor setting deep inside the 'Printer Setup' menu. The circle should measure 1" in Dia. if your print has come out as it should. If not, look in the print setup menu and adjust to 100%. If your printer is a full bleed model (if it prints all the way to the edge of the paper) the chances are that it will print with no adjustments needed.

The string pull is slightly off straight due to the length of winding post on the tuners that I like to use.
Please check your tuners against the drawing before you start cutting. It ain't my fault if they don't fit!

If you have a question about this, post here or PM/email and I will try to help.

Regards, Allan.....
Attachments
8Str 2.pdf
(4.44 KiB) Downloaded 3687 times
8Str 1.pdf
(12.51 KiB) Downloaded 3661 times
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Dylan730

Post by Dylan730 »

That's exactly what i'm looking for, I just don't have the software or skill's to draw it. The turners I'm using are Graver 210c, the string spacing is .340" and the width of the fret board at the nut is 2 3/4". According to the Grover packaging the tuners will accomodate a headstock thickness varying from .235"" (5.97mm) to .400"" (10.16mm). The string post extends .900"" (22.87mm) from the base of the housing." being made from wood I think the thickness should be .400".
Allan

Post by Allan »

Dylan, a quick question. Have you already purchased your tuners? If so, and if you can, could you post a pic of the inside face to show the locating pin. I have been looking for a good pic or a drawing of these with no luck so far. If you can get this to me so that I am sure what I am working with I will see about producing a version of the drawing above for your project.

Do you think these will work properly in a wooden key head? My understanding is that they are meant for use in an aluminum casting. The concept is great - one of these things that is so obvious once you see it. You know, "Why were they not ALWAYS like this?" :D

Regards, Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Dylan730

Post by Dylan730 »

Image Image Image

If you need another view let me know I will try to get them for you. I have a friend that will program this into his cnc router and cut it for me. I'm not sure if it work with wood or not, I am hoping so after I have already purchased them.
Last edited by Dylan730 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.