Building lap steel

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Dylan730

Building lap steel

Post by Dylan730 »

I am looking to build my first lap steel, and preferably a console model. I would like to cut the keyhead into the guitar with a router similar to the one JW Adams has posted in his thread new lap steel. I am having some trouble laying out the keyhead and getting a straight pull on the strings. I don’t know if a straight pull is necessary. I am ussing a brass rod as the nut and the string grooves are .340" apart, the total lenght of the nut is 2.80" I am trying to find a drawing or some measurements of a keyhead to help me lay one out on my piece of wood. I am using black walnut so I don’t want to make a mistake and ruin a real nice piece of material. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Don McGregor

Re: Building lap steel

Post by Don McGregor »

My friend Ryan Rukavina, out in Missoula, Montana, made me a very nice template for routing just what you are talking about for a ver reasonable cost. Mine is for an 8 string, set up for 3/8" string spacing.
I think the spacing actually may work best with certain models of tuners.
Ryan is a first class luthier who makes beautiful instruments, and also makes specialized parts, such as bridges, pickups, and nuts. He's also a great guy.
Here's his website :
http://www.rukavinaguitars.com
JW Adams

Post by JW Adams »

Dylan how many strings are you going to have on your lap, i made the keyhead for my six string blues slide with a router, i wouldn't want the keyhead routed into the body, it would work alright, but if you happen to drop it you would have a major repair, i have the aluminum casting on my new lap, but the cost is a lot more, the casting can be had for about $12.00 but the labor and material to polish it add up, but it can be used for 6,8 or ten string, the strings don't have to line up, just close. here is a picture of how i make keyheads, if you need measurements let me know, i use a router on the inside and a band saw on the outside, also the keyheads for your wood keyhead would be less, than a casting, i have to use the Grover 210c keyheads about $65.00 shipped
phpitx6xGPM.jpg
phpitx6xGPM.jpg (24.3 KiB) Viewed 3711 times
Dylan730

Post by Dylan730 »

My nut and bridge are setup for 8 strings. I purchased a casting but not willing to do all the work its going to take to polish it up. The casting is in rough shape. I plan on cutting the keyhead then attaching it to the base, but I wanted to make the keyhead, fret board and bridge end one piece and attach it to a base of maybe some other wood that compliments black walnut. Still in the planning stage and I am open for suggestions. I did purchase the grover 210c tuners.
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

I made my lap tuner out of white birch using mainly a drillpress and bandsaw. On top of this for rienforcement I took a piece of light truck running board (aluminum) and shaped it to the top profile of the birch. It's been 1 1/2 years and still works like a charm.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
Eldon

Post by Eldon »

Photo of Tuner head.
Attachments
2009_01232009JulyRhyan0002.JPG
2009_01232009JulyRhyan0002.JPG (182.01 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon