spring reverb

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
DocFMF

spring reverb

Post by DocFMF »

Hey ya'll,

I'm considering mounting a spring reverb box (removed from a Fender front man 2 x 12 amp) underneath my double neck console steel project. The positive aspect is I could control the passive reverb without adjusting the amp or fiddling around with a chain of pedals. Actually the only pedal I intend to use with the whole project is my Donner Viper passive volume pedal for swells and such.

I'd like to wire it just in front of the mono output jack (shared by both necks). But I am having a difficult time figuring out how to wire it. I would like to incorporate a 3 way Gibson style switch with one position for the right neck, center for reverb off, and the last position for the left neck. I would also like to use a 1 meg volume pot as was the original control pot from the amp to adjust the reverb level.

Is this doable? If so..... Can someone please show me the best way to wire it from between where the output wires from both necks harnesses merge and the output jack?

Thanks in advance for anyone who reads this and can answer this poser for me..... That's if anyone still reads this stuff.
20180531_093414[3554].jpg
20180531_093414[3554].jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 8598 times
DocFMF
DocFMF

Re: spring reverb

Post by DocFMF »

That or use 2 push pull volume pots with position 1 no reverb and position 2 for reverb. Sort of a one push pull for one neck and a second for the other. It seems to me that may be the easier way to go. Either way I have all of the parts.... I just need a diagram as to how to wire it up.

Thanks again
Doc FMF
DocFMF

Post by DocFMF »

Well I was excited to find this website.... Too bad it's just a crypt of information and not a living board anymore. For any archeologists that may find this post in the future..... Hello from 2018..... I hope the future finds you well.
Jason Lynch

Post by Jason Lynch »

we do seem to be a tad dead at the moment!
Its a good idea. I wonder if you would pick up any noise from the guitar through the reverb box?
DocFMF

Post by DocFMF »

I am sure there will be a little noise but if it could sit inside a 100 watt amp and not cause problems, I'm pretty sure any vibes from playing this heavy steel guitar, with the tub mounted with 6 rubber grommets, has 4 solid wood legs and the player will be sitting on a drummers throne would be negligible. It's not like a regular guitar that's light weight and follows and bangs around with every move of the standing player while hanging by a strap.
DocFMF

Post by DocFMF »

But to be honest, this is a first for me and at best.... Just a guess. I have never heard of it being done...... And that might speak volumes about the outcome. I may mount an output jack to both ends of the reverb tank just behind a 500 k or 1 meg volume pot and a 3 way toggle switch then plug this mockup inline to an existing guitar and amp just to see if it'll even come close to working without a pre amp.
DocFMF

Post by DocFMF »

Well I never made it beyond the idea stage on the spring tank reverb. But I did complete the steel guitar. It came out pretty well and sounds nicely retro tuned to both C6th and G through my reverb, wah, and volume pedals and my Fender Ultimate Chorus 2 x 12 130-watt Amp

It certainly is the center of attention in a room filled with at least 35 other stringed instruments strewn about. Not bad for a freehand build using a large slab of walnut as the bass.

I am currently working on a flame maple 8 string lap steel. I hope it turns out as well.

This is just a dry fit so far but it's about 90% complete. The next will be a 4-string bass lap steel.