8 string spacing and pickups

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Guitarmakerhawaii

8 string spacing and pickups

Post by Guitarmakerhawaii »

So far I've only built 6 string lap steels. Done 5 and helped students build 15 more. I'd like to have a go at an 8-string. Is the string spacing still about 3/8" (11mm)? Looking around for pickups, I'm seeing a lot that don't indicate string spacing. Recommendations for for a decent pickup that is height adjustable and won't break the bank are appreciated. Not looking for something particularly cheap, but not in the Lollar Horseshoe bracket either. Would be cool to get there someday. Thanks in advance.--Bob
maxi19

Re: 8 string spacing and pickups

Post by maxi19 »

William Groner

Post by William Groner »

Guitarmakerhawaii wrote:So far I've only built 6 string lap steels. Done 5 and helped students build 15 more. I'd like to have a go at an 8-string. Is the string spacing still about 3/8" (11mm)? Looking around for pickups, I'm seeing a lot that don't indicate string spacing. Recommendations for for a decent pickup that is height adjustable and won't break the bank are appreciated. Not looking for something particularly cheap, but not in the Lollar Horseshoe bracket either. Would be cool to get there someday. Thanks in advance.--Bob
3/8" @ bridge. 5/16" @ nut. George "L" makes nice Pups.
Guitarmakerhawaii

Post by Guitarmakerhawaii »

William-Thanks! I went to look for pickups on the George L website. That website is really a mess! Could not get much info on the various pickups.
ljs

Post by ljs »

I've used Wallace Trutones on two of my lap steels, http://www.jerrywallacemusic.com/cart.html, and am very pleased with them. I've used both 6 and 8 string. Very quick turn around. On both of mine I emailed and told him what I was building and asked him to use his best judgment on the wind. No problems what so ever. I would highly recommend them.
LaVern Skarzenski