8-string lap steel build

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
RomanS

8-string lap steel build

Post by RomanS »

I'm home from work with the flu, and I'm bored - so I decided to build a new lap steel, from parts I already have around; I live in a city apartment, and don't have a workshop, so I'm a bit limited with regards to tools - definitely not able to use a router here, the only electrical tools I can use are a drill and a jigsaw.

BTW, this is not the first lap steel I'm building - this is the first one, must have built it about 12 or 13 years ago, didn't originally have the Multibender:

And here's the second one I built (about 10 years ago) - this has been my main player for the last few years (along with a Fender 400 that I mostly use without pedals):

RomanS

Re: 8-string lap steel build

Post by RomanS »

I'm using an ovangkol bass neck blank I already have around - it's the perfect width (10cm) for what I have in mind, and is also wide enough to fit the Alumitone 3.5 Bassbar I also have here:

It's only 27mm (slightly over 1 inch) thick, so I'm going to add an aluminium base plate, for extra stability & sustain.

Started with the headstock - drilled some holes, that I connected with my jigsaw.

RomanS

Post by RomanS »

Next I drilled the tuner holes:

Then removed the inside of the headstock:

OK, basic shape is done; of course, with the tools I have it doesn't look as clean and professional as when doen with a router - it still needs a lot of clean-up with files and sandpaper, that's my job for tomorrow.

Last thing I did today: glued up some maple and mahogany strips, for the "wing" that holds the volume and tone pots:

Then it was time to clean the kitchen, before my girlfriend comes home from work... ;)

BTW, I'm not sure yet whether I'm going to use that fretboard (23.25" scale) that I got a long time ago (can't even remember where it is from) - the white color is a bit too bright for my taste, maybe I can darken it with some amber shellac...
Last edited by RomanS on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RomanS

Post by RomanS »

What I did so far today:
Cleaned up the headstock a bit with files and sand paper - still needs a bit of work...

Drilled some holes:

Then I brought out every amteur guitar-building hack's favorite tool, the chisel, and ended up with this:

Yes, it's a pickup route; a very unusual pickup route - but then, an Alumitone is a very unusual pickup, too!
Fits like a glove!

RomanS

Post by RomanS »

Last job for today: glued upt the other body "wing" - this one more narrow, because it doesn't have to hold any pots...
Oh, and I started shaping the wider "wing", still needs more sanding...

maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

It's good to see someones builds on the forum again, Thanks for posting, I'm sure there will be more members interested in the progress than me.

Keep posting please.

Best Regards Ron Mc
sleepingdog

Post by sleepingdog »

Yes, please keep 'em coming!
Dave
RomanS

Post by RomanS »

I'll definitely keep on going here - just need to take a break for a few days, just ordered some tools and stuff, need to wait till they arrive!
larry
Site Admin

Post by larry »

Thanks for sharing you builds with such awesome posts Roman!
RomanS

Post by RomanS »

Guys, sorry about not posting any updates for a while - but first I had to wait for parts, and then I didn't have any time for working on my build - hope to get a bit more done in the next few days...

Got a piece of aluminium (5mm thick) that is going to form the base of my steel; still needs a lot of sanding , then I'm going to paint it - something in the seafoam green - daphne blue continuum, with the maple and mahogany, and that color I'm shooting for a bit of a late '40s Woody station wagon look.

I also got a set of Veritas cornering tools, to help me get nice rounded edges without using a router - will have to do some practicing with those before I use them on my steel.
I also just got one of those awesome lap steel stands from Mark Roeder http://www.deluxe34.com/stands.html - I figured I can use it with my old steels, and also attach it to this new build, so I have more option than if I had just gotten legs & sockets (and with shipping & customs figured in, it wasn't much more expensive than simply getting parts):

I told a friend about my build, and he asked me whether I could build something for him, too; he tours a lot, and plays pedal steel (but not as his main instrument) - so he wants to try whether a lap steel with a Duesenberg Multibender can replace his pedal steel for the couple of songs he would like to use it live.
Didn't have any nice "tonewood" left at home, and since he's on a tight budget, I went with wood from the hardware store, choosing stability over looks (I'm going to paint this one) - so I went with laminated beech wood (which should be very stable) for the neck, and paulownia (very lightweight) for the base: