Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
RomanS

Re: 8-string lap steel build

Post by RomanS »

Nut and fretboard mounted...
RomanS

Post by RomanS »

Made a control plate - my friend's band is called THE FALLEN STARS (check them out if you like alt.country/Americana!) - I included the band logo on the plate...

RomanS

Post by RomanS »

OK, just finished the Multibender steel for my friend; it's a bit late here to test it thoroughtly (and I'm not very familia with the Open G tuning he requeste - I'm a C6 man myself...), but everything works!
Got to work all weekend, but then I'll continue with working on my own steel!

ljs

Post by ljs »

Nice. Very nice!!
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Looks good.
RomanS

Post by RomanS »

OK, resurrecting this thread - because almost a year after I started it, I finally completed that steel.
Unfortunately, all the build pics are gonna (no thanks to Photobucket!), and I didn't take any new ones (just wanted to get it done quickly...) - but at least you can see the result:

Already used it at my band's rehearsal today, and it sounds great - very wide-range and fully, not as twangy as my Fender 400, and not as in-your-face aggressive as my Lollar Chicago-equipped other homemade steel; the tone reminds me a bit of clips of old Bigsby steel guitars, and of those awesome Clinesmith ones (never had a chance to play either of those myself...) Also, this one sustains a lot longer than all my other steels - I guess that huge hunk of aluminium as a base plate helps - the bridge, nut, and string ball ends are all anchored directly to it!
The legs are actually a Deluxe34 stand that I screwed to the baseplate.
Still need to tweek that boo-wah button - it works as a stutter button at the moment, I guess I need to use a smaller value capacitor, the one that's in there currently cuts most of the signal, not only the highs...
I'm really happy with the way this one turned out!
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Same as I said on my last post 'looks good', glad you have finished it, sorry the site seems dead now and it looks like its run its course.

Best Regards Ron Mc