Collecting Information on String Spacing

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
jessegimbel

Collecting Information on String Spacing

Post by jessegimbel »

I'm getting started on a lap steel build, and I've been looking all over for information on string spacing, including a lot of searching here but I'm having trouble making heads or tails of the various findings. It seems like 3/8" is standard, but I've seen people say this typically refers to the spacing at the nut, and other people saying it refers to the bridge. Is there a standard terminology tied with the 3/8" spacing?

Related, I know the strings can be parallel or tapered and that it's a matter of opinion, but what are the factors involved when making that decision? I know parallel strings allow for slants better than tapered strings, but are slants pretty esoteric and not really something necessary for most common lap steel playing? It obviously seems easier to do them parallel but while I'm building this for myself to learn on, I also run a recording studio and want to make sure the instrument I build is at least something fun to kick around on for clients that come in. Thanks in advance for your input!
Keith Cary

Re: Collecting Information on String Spacing

Post by Keith Cary »

You'll get different opinions on this. So, this is just my opinion: I really like parallel spacing. I see no advantage in non-parallel spacing. Bar slants are not esoteric. I do them all the time. Lots of steel players do them. I've converted three of my pedal steels to parallel spacing because I do bar slants even with pedals. Any lap steels I build I naturally use parallel spacing. Other steel players use my instruments frequently. They seldom even notice, and if they do they get used to it quickly. (What does get noticed is when my fretboards aren't made for parallel spacing so the strings are hanging out in space. It doesn't bother me but it does bother most people. You're building from scratch so that should be no problem.) --- 3/8" is a little narrower than regular guitar spacing, I believe. I'd suggest using the bridge spacing that your pickups accommodate. I've been using 8-string DiMarzio PAF pickups, which have wider guitar spacing. Again, no one else seems to mind when they play my instruments.
jessegimbel

Post by jessegimbel »

Keith Cary wrote:You'll get different opinions on this. So, this is just my opinion: I really like parallel spacing. I see no advantage in non-parallel spacing. Bar slants are not esoteric. I do them all the time. Lots of steel players do them. I've converted three of my pedal steels to parallel spacing because I do bar slants even with pedals. Any lap steels I build I naturally use parallel spacing. Other steel players use my instruments frequently. They seldom even notice, and if they do they get used to it quickly. (What does get noticed is when my fretboards aren't made for parallel spacing so the strings are hanging out in space. It doesn't bother me but it does bother most people. You're building from scratch so that should be no problem.) --- 3/8" is a little narrower than regular guitar spacing, I believe. I'd suggest using the bridge spacing that your pickups accommodate. I've been using 8-string DiMarzio PAF pickups, which have wider guitar spacing. Again, no one else seems to mind when they play my instruments.
Thanks so much for your input Keith, this is definitely what I was looking for. Interestingly the pickup I've got (which is a P90) has poles 3/8" apart on center. I have a guitar with P90s and they have the same pole spacing, but the strings are spaced slightly narrower than the pole pieces.

Understood about the fretboards. I've seen some mention of it looking a little strange when the strings are parallel but the edges of the fretboard, while wider than the strings, taper in toward the nut. I'm not sure this bothers me personally but if it was indeed abnormal than maybe I'd steer away from it. Sounds like I'm good to go though, just need to decide how close to the bridge I want the pickup! Thanks again.
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Pedal steel pickups are usually about 2" center to center from the bridge
jessegimbel

Post by jessegimbel »

maxi19 wrote:Pedal steel pickups are usually about 2" center to center from the bridge
Great, thank you! It seems like lap steel pickups are often butted almost right up against the bridge, but while I'll like the twang a lot I think this lap steel will be used in the background of recordings at my studio a lot and I think putting it a bit away from the bridge to mellow it out might be the way to go. 2" sounds like a good measurement!