My first lap steel

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
bluesteel

My first lap steel

Post by bluesteel »

I have been working on an 8-string C6 lap steel for a while now, when time and the winter weather allow. That garage workshop is pretty chilly. I've decided to use reclaimed timber throughout. The body is Brazilian mahogany from old door frames from an old folks' home. I had to put the pieces together edge to edge using glue and dowels.

The join is concealed by 1/4 inch strips of Honduran mahogany - much lighter in colour - from an old bed headboard. This was mouldering away in the back of a barn at my wife's livery stable where she keeps her horses. Under the peeling veneer was this beautiful rare wood, you don't see it imported any more. I cut up the rest to make two pedal steel bodies.

The fretboard is a piece of oak - an offcut - from a recycling centre. I cut the fret grooves on my mill with a 1.8mm bit. The "frets" are ebony stringing from a marquetry supplier. The fret markers are 8mm, 6mm and 5mm black mother of pearl dots from Pietra Dura, a UK supplier. These photos show the fretboard after insetting the frets and dots, and rough sanding. I plan to inlay a bird at the end of the fretboard between the 24th fret and the pickup.

For me, the pleasure is in exploring what I can do, discovering techniques and making tools as I go.
Attachments
Close-up showing the MOP dots
Close-up showing the MOP dots
LapSteelFretBoard 2.jpg (127.88 KiB) Viewed 12370 times
Overall view of the fretboard
Overall view of the fretboard
LapSteelFretBoard 1.jpg (80.2 KiB) Viewed 12370 times
Jason Lynch

Re: My first lap steel

Post by Jason Lynch »

looking good, Will
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

Thanks Jason, spent a fair bit of time this weekend milling the "steps" - to hold the machine heads - from some 1" square section bar. I have the outside steps done, but not the inside. This game takes a deal of time! But it's all time well spent developing skills for the "biggie" - a pedal steel.
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

I've been meaning to update you all on progress for a while, but have now got as far as getting all the parts together and doing a trial fit. I didn't want to do the banding around the edges, the sunburst and the inlay if in fact it wasn't strong enough and wouldn't sound right. So yesterday I took the plunge, fitted everything and put a set of strings on, using a jack socket soldered direct to the pickup lead. I haven't fitted and wired up the volume and tone controls yet, although the body is ready for them.

It sounds fine, good tone and holds its tune. I'm very pleased. Now to do the fine detail to make it look nice.
Attachments
Lap-Steel-20150904-4.jpg
Lap-Steel-20150904-4.jpg (460.46 KiB) Viewed 12001 times
Lap-Steel-20150904-2.jpg
Lap-Steel-20150904-2.jpg (397.07 KiB) Viewed 12001 times
Lap-Steel-20150904-1.jpg
Lap-Steel-20150904-1.jpg (436.93 KiB) Viewed 12001 times
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Looks good Will, I might do an 8 string lap next.

Best Regards Ron Mc
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

this guitar looks very good
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

Thanks guys, for something where I'm feeling my way as I go, I'm pleased with how it's turning out. Now I have to take it apart and prep it for sunburst, lacquer, binding etc. I may put an inlay in the keyhead area too, under the strings. The eagle on the end of the fretboard is going to take a lot of care. I wasn't willing to go further with that until I knew it was going to work in terms of holding its tune etc. That mahogany isn't more than 26mm thick. It's only the fretboard that gives it enough strength I think.
Steelplayer825

Post by Steelplayer825 »

What company did you get your nut and bridge from. That what I'm looking for for my first 8 string Lap Steel 😀...
"If it don't have a Steel...It ain't REAL!!"
jvmalan

Post by jvmalan »

Great job! Being a tool lover myself I would love to see pictures of the tools you have made. Especially interested in tools pertaining to guitar building! Thanks John