String Tension causing Bending

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
LeonardSkynrod

String Tension causing Bending

Post by LeonardSkynrod »

Hello All,

i have a structure related question, and i am hoping some of you can offer some insight.

i have recently completed a lap steel build, and i am concerned about the amount of tension the strings are exerting on the guitar body.

i have it tuned to open E, and the total tension is about 160lb. when i rest the guitar on a flat surface, the back end (toward the tailpiece) is flush with the surface below it, but the headstock end is raised above the surface by just under 1/8 inch. this bowing is due to the string tension.

i have 3 questions:

1. is this bending hurting the guitar?
2. i would prefer to remain in open E, but should i tune to open D to relieve some tension (i know i can capo, but id prefer not to)
3. if i keep it on open E, will the body continue to bend upward more and more over time, or has (will) the wood reached an equilibrium of sorts?

thank you for your time
azureskys

Re: String Tension causing Bending

Post by azureskys »

Im thinking you might have the base body too thin , how thick is everything ? if left like that you might end up with a warped guitar
LeonardSkynrod

Re: String Tension causing Bending

Post by LeonardSkynrod »

thanks for the response. the neck cross section looks like this (ignore the '.' s:
....______
__1.........1__
1___________1

the base measures 3.5", the top width is 2.5", first 'step' is .75" tall, and the overall height is 1.6". the body is curly maple. it isnt as much the neck that's bowing. the headstock is wider, but has a deep pocket cut out of the center. the bend mainly occurs where the headstock begins (nech and headstock are one piece). i am just concerned that the tension could be harmful for the wood. thanks