Building a Console

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
joey

Building a Console

Post by joey »

I plan on making a d-8 console but cabinet type of body like a Pedal steel. I see that with Pedal Steel Guitars the aprons and top decking are glued and screwed together. As my guitar wont have pedals I'm thinking of just gluing with biscuit joins Would that hold it all together without effecting tuning (Cab drop ?) seeing I'm not not going to have pedals? Thanks in advance for your comments.
azureskys

Re: Building a Console

Post by azureskys »

Hi joey, you don't need to go to any type of joint making to build a console guitar double 8 or even a double 10, just do butt type of gluing and you ll be fine, some people go to drastic measures to build a cabinet and it not really needed, use a good wood glue and tight fittings , ive done it for many guitars and none have fallen apart lol. Russ
joey

Post by joey »

Thanks Russ, That's what I thought. I'll do a Biscuit join on the 2 neck decks and just butt glue all the rest.

Joey :D
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

Hello Joey,

I only used biscuit joints on my pedal steels and they seem okay, you shouldn't have a problem with cabinet drop as the string tensions on a lap steel are not continually changing as they do on a pedal steel.

best regards
Ron Mc
joey

Post by joey »

Thanks Ron