First Lap Steel Finished

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
fzartvaark

First Lap Steel Finished

Post by fzartvaark »

Finally finished first lap steel. 3 piece curly maple laminated with ebony strips, bridge and peghead overlay. Through the body strings, brass saddle and nut. EMG HZ 4a P/U wired with coil tap. It sounds good with lots of sustain. It's finished with tru-oil applied with progressively finer grits of wet dry sand paper then buffed with a foam attachment on drill and some Stew Mac polish The basic design is based on a plan I got from Randy Cordle ( AKA Rudy) at Bluestem Strings. He has a great web site with lots of information for building lap steel, banjo, and other instruments. If you're new to building or even not , you are sure to find helpful info.. Thanks Randy
Attachments
IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg (164.7 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg (165.69 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG (132.43 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Paul Lafountaine

Re: First Lap Steel Finished

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Very nice! You did a fine job. I like the contrast in colors.

Paul
fzartvaark

Post by fzartvaark »

Thanks Paul. Problem now is what to build next.
Bent

Post by Bent »

What a great job! This could just as well have been your 20th project!. I am amazed at the talent out there. You rank near the top and you've only just begun...
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
fzartvaark

Post by fzartvaark »

Thanks Bent,
Although it's my first lap steel I can't take the credit for just starting as I built my first banjo over 30 years ago, got back into building in the last 10 years. I posted a pic of the pedal steel I built in the introductions section. Since I've retired I'm getting more time at it..My goal is to have built an instrument for each of my sons and four grandkids. Two down, four to go. One thing doesnt change...I learn something from every project and from the folks on this forum and several other forums I've joined that are willing to share their thoughts, tips and techniques..Hope I can pay that back. I'd like to see your shop sometimes, I'm only "across the river" near the "Falls"
Frank
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Very nice lap steel
Bent

Post by Bent »

Frank, any time you want, let me know, hop across the bridge and take a Sunday drive to my place..you will be most welcome!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

That wood is beautiful, well done

Ron Mc