Tricone

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
dave

Tricone

Post by dave »

Hi, I am about to start building a wooden Tricone.
Can anyone tell me the weight of an original Tricone T bar bridge... and the weight ,if different,of a modern day National bridge.
Has anyone used wood for this bridge instead of metal,and are there any opinions as to what cones are best.Thanks.
maxi19

Re: Tricone

Post by maxi19 »

good morning Dave, you will find a lot of info on building a 'tricone' here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=941

regards Ron Mc
dave

Post by dave »

Thanks,Ron.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

dave, I just saw your post. I own and play a Republic Tricone Squareneck. I can not imagine a T-Bridge made of any material other than aluminum, but experimentation might yield interesting results. If, for some reason, I have that guitar apart, I will be glad to weigh the bridge for you. In the meantime, I will say that I remember it as being very light.

Both National and Republic sell cones, bridges and saddle inserts. Other vendors like Elderly or Stew-Mac may also have them. Because of cost, I would probably go with Republic for starters. If so desired, the parts would be easy enough to change out later.

http://republicguitars.com/parts-supplies/tricone-kit

http://store.nationalguitars.com/tricon ... tors3.aspx

HTH.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
dave

Post by dave »

Hi Michael, if at some time you could weigh the bridge for me, that would really help.

I've built and repaired guitars for almost 40 years,but never had the slightest interest in Nationals.
However,I'm going through a severe Tampa Red episode at the moment and hence I'm going to build a Tricone.
As guitarists we tend to be dinosaurs when it comes to bridge material......Banjo players change their bridges more often than their socks ,and the difference can be dramatic...in both cases.
I've bought some National cones,and was shocked at what they actually are,compared to their cost.
I just couldn't justify the cost of their bridge ,so will find a way round it.
Thanks,and if there is any more info or tips on building a wooden tricone out there....please post.