Newest McGregor Build Completed! LA LUNA

Solid Body Steels, Reso, Weissenborn...
Don McGregor

Newest McGregor Build Completed! LA LUNA

Post by Don McGregor »

Lilah and Luna2704-=.jpg
Lilah and Luna2704-=.jpg (689.28 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
It's taken me a long time to bring this one to completion. LA LUNA, the current steel of my dreams is finally finished.
She has Lacewood necks and aprons, and an African Mahogany, stair stepped deck.
These amazing, clear, acrylic, Lunar Phase fret boards, that allow the full grain of the Lacewood to show through were designed, laser etched, and polished by my good friend Mark Bracewell, Chief Luthier and Magician at Willow Glen Guitars. Mark is also a very fine fellow. The finish is a light Amber Aniline dye sealed with a couple of coats of shellac, several coats of pore filler, and many coats of nitrocellulose lacquer applied with rattle cans, level sanded between every four coats.
Not finding a source for new end plates or aluminum key heads, I have re-purposed these, which I purchased used, cutting down two sets of 10 string key heads into 8 stringers.
I routed the pickup cavities to fit either George L’s, which, so far, I am liking a lot, or narrow mount Jerry Wallace Truetones, which I already know I like, and which I also have on hand. I will be changing the pickups back and forth until I settle on one. I feel certain other pickups would fit, also.
Thank you to everyone on this forum for providing me and the rest of the entire steel guitar community with advice, information, and caring. Of course, I owe the biggest thanks of all to my wife and children for putting up with me spending so many hours out puttering around in the shop while the world goes on whirling around outside. I will try to get some sound bytes up soon.
Attachments
Nut and Keyhead Detail 2727-=.jpg
Nut and Keyhead Detail 2727-=.jpg (320.52 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
RH End 2735-=.jpg
RH End 2735-=.jpg (331.66 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
maxi19

Re: Newest McGregor Build Completed! LA LUNA

Post by maxi19 »

It looks good, and she's a pretty little girl as well.

Ron Mc
Jif

Post by Jif »

Now that is nice :D

Looking forward to hearing the soundbytes :)
Don McGregor

Post by Don McGregor »

Thank you, Sirs.
I hope to get a sound sample up soon. Darned work and family keep getting in the way.
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

Don, we are all itching to hear this beautiful steel, have you got anything for us yet?
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Beautiful Don
jonsey

Post by jonsey »

HI DON
I/m new to the forum and I just want to say THAT IS ONE BEAUTIFUL STEEL you can be proud of that one :D