Finishing methods and saftey, inlay...
jcbartee

finishing Formika

Post by jcbartee »

Can I put a clear coat on Formica to get a nice finish
Bent

Re: finishing Formika

Post by Bent »

No. It would peel off in no time. Formica is supposed to have a nice clear finish without any help. If it does not, the remedy is to put on new formica.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
jcbartee

Post by jcbartee »

The finish is nice, but not very shiny. Can I use A polish or wax?
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

I'll disagree with Bent - but only slightly.

Formica is a multi-layer material. The surface material is quite thin and carries the "shine" or "sheen". You can, indeed, polish this with something like a very fine-grit aluminum polish. DO NOT attempt to sand it! Surface abrasions are one thing, scratches quite another. Should you sand down through this into the base material, then you've bought the farm and are stuck with it. There's no turning back or repairing it.

Try experimenting with a fine-grit polish in some out-of-the-way place where there are only minor surface abrasions. Do this by hand as power tools can generate too much heat if you get anxious and lean into the tool. The prime ingredient in this procedure is patience since this will be a slow process. You should be able to see an improvement. Be prepared to accept something which is "good enough" as opposed to "perfect". Even surface abrasions can be deep enough such that a reasonable amount of polishing is inadequate to remove them completely. Where or when do you stop? Let your conscience be your guide.

Put on a pot of coffee and have at it.

Richard
Bent

Post by Bent »

When I wrote what I did, I had only "clear coat" meaning lacquer in mind.
I will go along with you Richard in saying that some kind of polish might work, but I can't agree with "fine grit" polish. Even the finest grit will leave swirl marks on mica I'm afraid. Maybe Maguiars Swirl remover will do the trick but even that I would try in an inconspicuous spot.

Here's what I did to help a guy where the builder had left some adhesive residue on the front apron. After trying every common product we could think of, we tried lacquer thinner. It not only removed the residue but also gave the mica a nice shine. I learned 2 things here: lacquer thinner does not harm the mica and it might even give it a shine.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Not all mica has a shiney surface , some are semi gloss and others are really glossy, i have some cherry mica that is kinda dull looking and some walnut burl that is as glossy as a lac finish some red and blue thats dull looking also.I wouldnt attempt to spray any kind of clear over the glossy however i have finished the dull mica with urethane with hardner with success. Hope this might help . Formica is a brand name in case you didnt know , mica is a mineral . Russ
Rick Dillon

Post by Rick Dillon »

I know this is an old posting, for those of you that would like to refinish mica it is doable by following these steps. Do not attempt to use laquer, for as Bent said it will pill. You will want to use poly urethane with hardner, prepreation is the key, water sand with dawn and water with 600 grit wet or dry sand paper just dulling the surface dry, tack and use medium wet coats, 3 will be enough, allow to air dry overnight, wet sand using 1500 grit and buff with a 2000 grit buffing compound, prefably 3m, spray water on the surfaces while buffing keeping it cool, you will give it a good coat of carnauba wax buff with a terry cloth stand back and count the freckles in your face, have fun.