Polishing Aluminum

Finishing methods and saftey, inlay...
Bent

Polishing Aluminum

Post by Bent »

A friend on here emailed and asked how I do my polishing, Thanks, Paul, for raising the question.
I thought maybe others could benefit from this so I pasted the email into here as well. Hope you all can make some use of it.

I start out with sanding with 220 grit sand paper, then work up to the finer grits...220, 320, 400, and 600. If the piece is scratched up somewhat, I start with 150. It's fast really, Once you get the first grit done, then the succeeding ones are done just to remove the sanding marks from the previous grit.

After sanding, I polish on the buffer. I have 3 wheels, one for each grit of compound. You buy the compound sticks at Princess Auto for example, and also the wheels.

Hard wheel for course, medium hard for medium and soft for the final grit.

The compound grits are: Course- black; medium - brown, fine - white

Black first on one wheel...the shine will start. The piece will get warn- hot to the touch, use gloves. Heat is needed to get the shine.

Brown on the 2nd wheel - the shine will improve

White on 3rd wheel..the shine will get even better. You're after a sort of a "wet" look. You'll know it when you see it.

Sometimes this look appears, other times it will be just "ok" other times it will be cloudy.

The polishing is really just practice, practice and trial&error.

After polishing, I wash the piece in soapy warm water with dish detergent.

After polishing, avoid finger marks...use surgical or clean cotton gloves.
And whatever you do: Wrap the piece in a clean rag until you are ready to assemble!! Sounds like a no-brainer but I have learned from my error!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
richard37066

Re: Polishing Aluminum

Post by richard37066 »

Bent -

There's differing views on this subject. Do you "dry"-sand or "wet"-sand your parts. Dry-sanding tends to clog up the paper while wet-sanding tends to hold the sanding dust in suspension. Which do you prefer - and why.

Richard
Bent

Post by Bent »

Richard, yes differing views on this subject like any other subject.
I dry sand. It produces a smooth finish. Dry or wet sanding doesn't matter as much as TYPE of sand paper IMHO
I have had excellent results with the red aluminum oxide paper. It does not clog.
When finish sanding on lacquer I need to wet sand so the lacquer doesn't clog up the paper. For this it was recommended by an expert that I use paint thinner (mineral spirits)
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Yup -

You've confirmed my experiences. Just checkin'.

Thanks.

Richard