My First attempt at air brushing a sunburst

Finishing methods and saftey, inlay...
sheffield steel

My First attempt at air brushing a sunburst

Post by sheffield steel »

Hi all,
This is my first attempt at air brushing, I've had this idea of the colour that I wanted to do for about 4 years. Last Christmas my wife bought me an air brush kit and this is my first go. I call it Carribean sea burst, this is just the stain with 1 coat of lacquer on just to seal it, I've got to lacquer it as yet. This will be my D10 when it is finished, this is because the quilted maple that I got was a one off, the guy at the wood store said that in all his years he had never seen such a beautiful piece of wood. I do hope that you like it.

Dave. :geek:
Attachments
Caribean Steel 020 - Copy (640x206).jpg
Caribean Steel 020 - Copy (640x206).jpg (125.8 KiB) Viewed 9545 times
Caribean Steel 013 - Copy (640x446) (639x410).jpg
Caribean Steel 013 - Copy (640x446) (639x410).jpg (211.48 KiB) Viewed 9547 times
Caribean Steel 003 - Copy (640x153).jpg
Caribean Steel 003 - Copy (640x153).jpg (94.58 KiB) Viewed 9548 times
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3
Bent

Re: My First attempt at air brushing a sunburst

Post by Bent »

Like??? Dave I love it. Just like everything you lay your hands on this, too, turns into a work of art. You got that quilting to jump out of the wood and created the 3D effect. Absolute eye candy. I see I have a ways to go...
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Dave -

Reminds me of MSA's "Carribean Blue". Have loved it since they first brought it out. The end result should be a stunner!

The quilted maple shows off the color better than any other.

Richard
steve geary

Post by steve geary »

VERY, VERY NICE....... Stunning...
sheffield steel

Hi guys,

I,ve mostly used George Ls on my steels but this one I'm going to put Bill Lawrence 705's on her when she's finished. Any thoughts or views about these pups, Bobbe Seymour says they are the BEST pups ever.

Dave. :geek:
Sheffield D10 9+8, Bradshaw WEBB 614-E, Sheffield stainless steel tone bars, Hilton electronic volume pedal, Pro-Fex 2, BOSS DD3
Bent

Post by Bent »

Dave, maybe I am facetious in saying this but lots of times I think that sellers say that "this or that is the best" when they are selling them. A good case in point
; Alumitone pups were all the rage a few years ago. Nothing stacked up against them. When I went to order such a pup a year or so ago, the seller tried to discourage me from buying it, saying that the Lawrence was a far better pup (the one he was selling now)
I am sure you can't go wrong with a 705. I swear my ears are made of cardboard. I think that all humbuckers sound just like the next humbucker.
I do love the sound of the single coil. They are unique to me. I love the sound of the old Emmons PP with the Emmons pup wound in the 13 to 15 K range. I think that the pup sounds great on my guitars. I wind them to 14 to 14.5 K And with that low a resistance, I think that the noise is manageable.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

Dave,

That quilted maple is phenomenal - really gorgeous. Lovely colour too. Where do you get your paui shell strip? StewMac won't ship outside USA, is there a UK supplier?

Will C
Huntingdon UK
sheffield steel

Doing a bit more lacquering. I've had to zip file the photos (could not re size them, Dave the pc div strikes again!!) I hope that you all can open them?

Dave :D
Attachments
Daves SD10 014.zip
(210.09 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
Daves D10.zip
(251.19 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
maxi19

Post by maxi19 »

That is really beautiful, it looks like Iv'e got a long way to go to get anywhere near that standard

Ron Mc
sheffield steel

Hi Will,

I get my paua off a guy on E-Bay, also a web site called small wonders.

Dave. :D