trying to achieve a certain look

Finishing methods and saftey, inlay...
steve geary

trying to achieve a certain look

Post by steve geary »

I really like the look of the "SHOW PRO" Blue Tommy White model on their web site, ( I think the prettiest I have ever seen). A friend recommended that I clear poly the body 1-2 coats then apply stain (over clear) then 4 more coats of poly. This is not at all how I was going to do it. I actually been test practicing with the color I have, and I think it will look just fine. Has anyone ever put color stain like blue over clear?
I appreciate any suggestions, Steve
Bent

Re: trying to achieve a certain look

Post by Bent »

Steve, if you apply stain over clearcoat, the stain won't do what it is supposed to do - soak into the wood. It might turn out blotchy and uneven.
When I finished the guitar in the pic, I used Colortone blue dye stain - a few drops in alcohol will do the trick. I sprayed on several coats of stain on the bare wood to achieve the colour I wanted. I had the Mike Johnson Show Pro in mind.
When I was satisfied with the stain I let it dry the required length of time. I then applied a coat of Mohawk vinyl sealer. When it was dry I sprayed on 5 wet coats of Mohawk instrument lacquer, an hour in between coats.
BenRom4~1.jpg
BenRom4~1.jpg (105.89 KiB) Viewed 8539 times
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
steve geary

Post by steve geary »

Bent, Thank you so much. Your guitar looks amazing. ( I have been reading many of your posts on here by the way). I really appreciate your help. BTW copedent question, what does your "0" pedal do? Steve
Bent

Post by Bent »

Steve thanks for the nice words on the steel.The pedals on this one is, seated behind the guitar, is from left to right: A, B, C, and the Franklin pedal. It lowers the 5, 6and 10 strings a whole tone each.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.