staining

Finishing methods and saftey, inlay...
bob guichard

staining

Post by bob guichard »

I am working on a SD10 and I am ready to stain the cabinet but am curious as to the best way to avoid staining the inlay. I am planning a two color sunburst so should i apply the stain prior to installing the inlay or install the inlay and tape it off? If the stain is rubbed on with a rag is it likely to bleed under the tape? i would guess less so with spraying? What are some techniques that you guys have used successfully?
Bob
richard37066

Re: staining

Post by richard37066 »

Bob -

I may not have a concrete answer for you but I've considered the same dilemma in regards my own design.

Could you pick an inlay which is much lighter in color which, when stained, is the color that you desire?

Secondly, could you not coat JUST the inlay with a lacquer-based finish and not worry about it? Most stains are water-based or oil-based so they shouldn't attack the lacquer on the inlay. We're still plagued by the ability to accurately mask off the inlay.

Just a thought or two.

Richard
Bent

Post by Bent »

Bob, Richard is correct. In hindsight, that's what I should have done. You always get bleed-thru if you just mask. Here is how to do it(from master builder Martin Weenick) Mask off the body and leave the inlay exposed. Apply several coats of sanding sealer to the inlay. Then you mask off the inlay and stain the body. Whatever bleed thru gets on there is carefully sanded off when you sand off the dry sanding sealer.
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Ah, Bent -

Ya done it again! Sanding sealer! Why didn't I think of that - as I slap my head with a heavy hand.

Richard
Bent

Post by Bent »

Richard, I done it again alright...I checked with Martin AFTER I stained the blue stain. My head was of course way up in the clouds (or way up somewhere). I had a LOT of sanding to do after the stain dried. Still not 100% but will have to do and learn from my mistakes.
That Martin, he usually has all the answers. Good guy to know!
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
bob guichard

Post by bob guichard »

Can the cabinet be stained before the inlay goes on permanently with glue?
Bent

Post by Bent »

Bob, no that won't work too well. The inlay gets installed a bit proud of the surrounding wood so that you have to sand it flush. Sanding the inlay will always cut into the stain.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Bent wrote:Bob, no that won't work too well. The inlay gets installed a bit proud of the surrounding wood so that you have to sand it flush. Sanding the inlay will always cut into the stain.

Hi guy's, one thing i did on one of my PSG"s was i stained the aprons and put the inlays after but what i did i made the groove for the inlay alittle deeper i think it was 1/16" and the inlays i was using was 1/32" thick so that left me 1/32" before it was flush to the aprons i put the stained then a few coat of lacquer then glue the inlays and filled the gap that was left with lacquer until it was flush ,it works great that way but takes more time but the results is perfect.

Pat.