Black logo on black PSG...

Finishing methods and saftey, inlay...
Georg

Black logo on black PSG...

Post by Georg »

How best to create a logo like this on lacquered metal or plastic surface..?
richard37066

Re: Black logo on black PSG...

Post by richard37066 »

Georg -

I just love throwing wierd ideas into the air and seeing where it falls.

Since you're an old printed circuit board guy, can you draw from that experience?

Richard
Georg

Post by Georg »

Richard,

I thought of that, but PCBs are not curved and/or sprayed with thick layers of lacquer.

Unless a "light appears" from somewhere I will probably paint it in relief with wax, engraving tool and lacquer.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Will take some work with finishing techniques to achieve an appearance like this...
...but I think it will be worth it :)
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Georg, you should check for a auto stripping and lettering business for vehicules, they have all kinds of industrial printers and can cut out and print almost any design and all you have to do is pell off the back and stick it, if you can't find any...let me know and i can check with my guy here he doesn't charge much either, all you have to do is send me the digital logo and i'll see what i can do for you.

oh i forgot :o ...i need to know the dimension you need?. :)
Pat ;)
Georg

Post by Georg »

Pat, yes a decal would work, and even my printer can output a somewhat decent one...
...or at least as good as my original allows for :)

I'll keep that idea in mind, and the image on top in this thread is the right size.

Nobody here may believe me when I say I don't want my black PSG to look cheap - which a stick-on decal may contribute to. Much effort will go into giving all visible parts a tough surface and make them look the right shades of neutral dark, when I get to that point. And since the logo will be the only real decor, if I somehow can incorporate it as a soft relief with depressed, light, outlines, I will.

It is the various techniques I may use to achieve a soft relief I am most interested in, and some on this forum may have experience with such things and can point me in the right direction.
Bent

Post by Bent »

Georg, I can't see why this can't be done like I had a sign maker do my logo for me. He used a sheet of peel-and-stick, rather tough vinyl material, black.
Then he printed the colors red white and blue inside the "O". Then the printer cut out the logo on the black sheet. When I peel off the backing, all that is left is what you see below. So that should be a simple white line on black vinyl in your case.
It was done in the .pdf format
BenRom-logo2sm.jpg
BenRom-logo2sm.jpg (18.13 KiB) Viewed 6478 times
Credit for the design of this logo goes to Per Berner in Sweden
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Pat Comeau

Post by Pat Comeau »

Georg wrote:Pat, yes a decal would work, and even my printer can output a somewhat decent one...
Those printers they use is not the same as the ones we use at home Georg...it prints it and then cut out the contour of any design just like a CNC.

Pat ;)
Georg

Post by Georg »

Pat, Bent, thanks for the input. I got a CNC that can do such decal jobs. Bought it from Solectro decades ago, and have shaved and cut quite a few sheets of film with it in addition to PCBs and various plastic and soft metal plates.

It is just that I don't want a(nother) stick-on decal.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Georg, are you able to adjust how deep your cnc cuts? Maybe you could find some laminated plastic, black on white, and set it to cut thru to the white, or am I not understanding what it can do? ...............Mike