Black logo on black PSG...

Finishing methods and saftey, inlay...
Georg

Re: Black logo on black PSG...

Post by Georg »

Mike, dept is no problem. I have cut pretty fine details into many such two-color laminated plastic plates - used them as front/back plates on prototype electronics. Slapping such a laminated plate on the PSG covers is a potential solution, but I would rather not have anything but lacquer/paint on those covers and they will be a bit too large for my old CNC...

What I am trying here is to indent the logo into the aluminum cover, color it white, and then color all but the shape black. IIRC it should be possible to make at least some types of spray-paint stay off of areas that are "oily", and I was wondering if anyone has worked with drawings made by utilizing paint-repellent or had experience in spray-painting that might give similar results.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Georg -

Look out! Another hair-brained idea coming your way!

Since this is a "one-off" and, since the part won't fit into your CNC machine, could you not paint everything black, then spring for the cost of having someone else "mill" or "engrave" the logo down into the aluminum? Then: fill the depressions with white paint or epoxy and wipe off the excess? Might leave a "cupped" look to the white paint (epoxy) as opposed to vertical edges. Would this be acceptable? Folks who do inlay work do this sort of thing all of the time.

Alternatively: - Find someone with a laser mill. Mill the logo into the substrate. Fill with white epoxy. Paint everything black. Back to the laser mill. Mill off only the black paint and, perhaps, a few thou of the epoxy in the depressions. Registration between the two procedures might pose a minor problem. Mill the logo slightly larger than desired? Since super fine line widths and power levels can be obtained one should be able to make it work. The curved surfaces might be a bugaboo. Don't know. Worth investigating?

In either case, the "relief" is solely the thickness of the paint layer. Not much at all.

In a takeoff on Mike's suggestion, could you cut a square or rectangular hole in the aluminum, fill it flush with a piece of that black/white material used for name plates, paint over it all and then mill down through the paint and the surface layer of black plastic? Would leave vertical black edges with the white recessed neatly below. Might be a hassle but this is, after all, a one-off.

More complicated - I think. Paint the aluminum black. Have someone laser cut the logo out of the aluminum. SAVE the inner part. Epoxy a white piece of something to cover the ensuing hole. Epoxy the inner part to the white something-or-other. Instant recessed logo.

Gotta try to help my buddy.

Richard
Georg

Post by Georg »

Will mention (once more) that the black cover plate forms the wider tone-body on my PSG, so have to treat it for its sonic properties all the way. The relief has to go into the plate itself, and be accentuated by a soft white outline.

Depressing the outline of the logo into the aluminum using pieces of wood and hammers, only takes time. May have to invest in and learn to use air brush equipment to get the outline look right, if I can't brush up enough on the subtle brush techniques I used for painting pictures some 40 years ago.