Strange Nitro Reaction

Finishing methods and saftey, inlay...
jessegimbel

Strange Nitro Reaction

Post by jessegimbel »

Has anyone ever seen a reaction like this? I first noticed it in my primer coat. I tried spraying much thinner, misting it, much thicker, and in a range of different temperatures and humidities. I eventually got it good enough and figured it could be a product of the primer I used being fairly thick, so I moved on. The color coats went on much better but now with these first clear coats the problem is coming back. This isn't for a customer so I'm thinking of just dealing with it for this project, but it's bizarre.

The coats go on nicely whether misted, laid on fairly heavily, or anywhere in between, and look fine until maybe 24 hours later this bubbling has happened. The wood I used was a very old, incredibly dry piece, and I was careful to clean for silicon/grease/etc. The reaction isn't happening anywhere else on the body but it's one solid piece so there aren't any glue joints causing strange reactions – there's nothing different at those spots versus anywhere else on the body. Any thoughts?

Jason Lynch

Re: Strange Nitro Reaction

Post by Jason Lynch »

Are you using a particular type of glue? Strange that it’s only in the joint between pieces of wood?
jessegimbel

Re: Strange Nitro Reaction

Post by jessegimbel »

Jason Lynch wrote:Are you using a particular type of glue? Strange that it’s only in the joint between pieces of wood?
Hey Jason, thanks for the response! Like I mentioned it's one piece of wood, so there's no glue there at all.