Need advice about using a water based finish.

Finishing methods and saftey, inlay...
ljs

Need advice about using a water based finish.

Post by ljs »

Hi All, I am finally getting around to finishing up a lap steel that I started about eight years ago. It is made from White Ash that was harvested from a tree that we cut and milled about 13 years ago. I have been researching different finishes and prefer water based. I have built three previously, and used MinWax Polycrylic with so, so results. All previous builds were just clear coated with multiple layers and no staining or dyeing of any kind. This time I have used leather dye mixed in denatured alcohol, applied until I think I have the shade I'm looking for. I don't have any spraying equipment and will be brushing. I have seen in some previous searches about applying a sealer on top of dyed surface before applying the finish coats. I believe a vinyl sealer was recommended under lacquer. I plan on trying out a product that I just discovered, KTM-9 a water-based finish. On the LMI website they recommend using an epoxy filler under it for a pore filler. My questions are: Is White Ash considered a porous wood? What Has anyone tried using the KTM-9 and if so, what were the results? Is a pore filler needed, and what results can I expect using vs. not using a pore filler? I think I have also read that shellac can be used as a sealer before applying the finish coats. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
LaVern Skarzenski
ljs

Re: Need advice about using a water based finish.

Post by ljs »

Hi All,
Well I went and bought a couple aerosol cans of Deft lacquer instead of the water based stuff. Bought a good respirator and decided to give the lacquer a try. No sealer on top of the dyed ash. Just got done with the 5th coat and it is looking surprisingly nice. I got a few runs. By what I've read on previous posts regarding lacquer I ought to finish up spraying another 4 or 5 coats and then using wet or dry 1000, 1200, 1500 and possibly finishing with 2000 using mineral spirits as the wetting agent, to get the runs out. Followed by a buffing with auto swirl remover? Does that sound about right? I'll have to try to post some pictures when I get further along. Thanks.
LaVern Skarzenski