Libre Office

On or off Topic
Paul Lafountaine

Libre Office

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

Hi,

Just thought I would pass this on. I am not a fan of Microsoft, as they charge to much for products that don't really work that well and have many vulnerabilities. If you are looking for a good office suite you may want to try this. It is FREE!

http://www.libreoffice.org/

This is as good as, if not better than Microsoft Office in my opinion.

Enjoy,

Paul
Bent

Re: Libre Office

Post by Bent »

Hear hear! This is a great contribution coming from Paul who is somewhat of a guru at all things computer stuff.
Thanks for the info Paul!
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
na4it

Post by na4it »

I've been using Open Office for some time now, both Windoze and Linux versions.
Scott Duckworth
E6 Rogue lap steel, D6 Regal RD-30MS squareneck reso-guitar,
Li'l Izzy, Zoom MS-50G Effects Pedal into a Berhinger mixer and Harbinger V2112 speaker(s).

Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it
Paul Lafountaine

Hey Scott

You definitely have it right when you said Windoze. Windows is a slow bloated OS that is out dated and needs to be redesigned from top to bottom. POS "piece of shit" I have been playing with Linux for a number of years now and love it.

I remember going through dependance hell when Linux first became available. Things have really changed since then.

I just started using a version called PCLinuxOS that you may want to try. Not sure yet if I like it, but will try it for another week or so.

Glad to hear from another Linux user,

Paul
na4it

Post by na4it »

I haven't gotten into Linux as far as I would like to. I use Puppy for ham radio stuff (on a bootable USB drive), and checked out Ubuntu. Got any recommendations for a Linux variant to replace Win XP?
Scott Duckworth
E6 Rogue lap steel, D6 Regal RD-30MS squareneck reso-guitar,
Li'l Izzy, Zoom MS-50G Effects Pedal into a Berhinger mixer and Harbinger V2112 speaker(s).

Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it
Paul Lafountaine

Hey Scott,

Try PCLinuxOS. The design of it is to feel like Windows. I have been messing around with it for about a week now. I had no issues with any of my devices all the drivers seem to work good. My biggest problem is to remember user names and passwords, it is like trying to remember PIN numbers for the half dozen bank and credit cards we all carry. You may also want to try LinuxMint. Just google the names of either OS and you will find them. You can burn the Live image to CD/DVD and just run it off your CD/DVD player on your computer.

I have run Windows only programs on Linux using a program called Vine. It works pretty good in most cases, but some programs don't like it. Also, you can look at a program called Virtual Box. Again, google these and read about them.

As of next year Microsoft will stop all support for XP and I believe Vista. They were going to stop supporting XP a year or so ago, but many large companies complained as they have not changed over to Windows 7. No one changed over to Vista cause it was such a piece of crap. Apologies in advance for anyone running Vista

Paul.
bluesteel

Post by bluesteel »

I like OpenOffice too, LibreOffice looks good.

I tried Linux about 12 years ago but it didn't have the ease of use of Windoze then, it was pre- KDE/Gnome etc. After one virus too many screwed up my desktop's HDD (in spite of good anti-virus) I have decided to go back and try harder. I have ordered the latest Mint and looking forward to trying it.

My old laptop has Vista, quite right - this is a POS operating system. Soooo slow and unstable, and this was an OEM instal. Seriously tempted to change that over to Linux also. Let's see how the old desktop machine likes it first.

Will C