Photoshop savvy people?

On or off Topic
Bent

Photoshop savvy people?

Post by Bent »

Gen. discussion is great.
Georg, you mentioned in the avatar thread , something about "flattening the background" Could you elaborate on that please? (with detailed expl. for a slow head like mine)
Is this the same as what you see in some photos where all you see is the subject and everything else is white? I think this is so cool, where you want to highlight the subject only, for example promo shots of our projects for example
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Georg

Re: Photoshop savvy people?

Post by Georg »

Many ways to do that, so here's one of the simplest and most basic manual methods for irregular objects.

1: Draw an "outline" around the object you want to keep unchanged in the picture, the "lasso" function drawing with the mouse, works OK in most cases.
2: Choose "Select: outside" to work only on the area outside the line around the object.
3: Paint that "outside area" white (or any color you like) completely, using a wide brush.
4: "Deselect" selection so you can work on the entire picture again.
5: Pretty up the edge around the object by carefully "blur'ing" it with a small-radius brush.
If you want a clear-cut - not blurred - edge around the object, blow up the picture on the screen to a level where you can easily "Draw" single pixels manually using the color of the "flattened background" - and take your time to get it right.

Nearly always a good idea to work on an image at least twice the (real) size of what you want the finished one to be. Minor flaws tend to disappear in the process when you size down to final dimensions.

Note: I used PhotoShop for nearly all image-manipulation for 6 years, but dropped it when I installed new machines last summer. Now I use Gimp, and have already forgotten some of the PhotoShop details. Pretty much the same functionalities in Gimp and PhotoShop, but differences in user-interface.