On or off Topic
Don McGregor

Post by Don McGregor »

Sometimes Photoshop, over the silliest things, tromps all over my brain cells, and squashes them like grapes.

What is the best resolution, size, and number of pixels per inch to save a photo at to be used as an Avatar photo on this forum.
It seems that, if I reduce all these variables small enough to squeeze under the 6K limit, my photo looks pretty much like the tile in my bathroom floor, and resembles me not a little bit.
Bent

Re: Avatar photos?

Post by Bent »

Don, personally I don't like photoshop for making avatars. I have never really sat down and learned it. That's because an online avatar maker is so much easier.
Try this one; it's pretty much self-explanatory http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

I agree with you, the small pic does not do a face any justice at all! Especially an ugly mug such as yours truly. Therefor, I just use a pic of my steel...everybody can see what that is :-)
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Avatars should ideally be very simple images, so one can recognize them with a quick glance at the screen. Such simple images are easy to adjust dimensionally and for file-size to fit requirements on various forums/blogs.
Don McGregor

Post by Don McGregor »

Bent,
Thank you for the shrink link.
I still had to numb a few brain cells in Photoshop before what I handed shrinkpictures came through small enough and clear enough to use here, but it worked. Thank you.
And Georg, when you look as good as I do, you kind of owe it to everyone to share that with everyone.
Thanks.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Don McGregor wrote:...you kind of owe it to everyone to share that with everyone.
Thanks.
I'm with you on that Don - even if I do have to wear a hat to stop the reflected light from burning out the camera! :lol:

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Georg

Post by Georg »

Don, Allan, of course you do have to show... :shock: :lol:

However, just as an idea: there might be a few more bytes available for presenting your pretty faces, if you flattened the distracting backgrounds. ;)
Bent

Post by Bent »

Don McGregor wrote: And Georg, when you look as good as I do, you kind of owe it to everyone to share that with everyone.
Thanks.
Yup ;) You DO have a way with words you silver tongued devil you...
It's true what they say, Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder :lol: :lol:

Actually, Don, that avatar turned out nice and clear..I've seen them worse
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
Allan

Post by Allan »

Georg wrote:...flattened the distracting backgrounds. ;)
Take care Georg, that's my wife in the background. She does all the flattening around here!!! ;)
full grab.jpg
full grab.jpg (13.71 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
She lets me think I am the boss now and then though...

Allan.....
Only nuts eat squirrels.
Keep yer tools sharp! That way you can use more of your strength guiding them AWAY from your body rather than forcing the cut!!!
Bent

Post by Bent »

That's a very good picture of you and your better half, Allan. Now I get it... It is one of those old-fashioned photos where you dress up. You make a great pioneer couple!