forum registration-help!

On or off Topic
Bent

forum registration-help!

Post by Bent »

Hi all - especially new members!
There seems to be some difficulties for people to register. More specifically, they are having problems with the question at the bottom of the registration form:

Famous steel player Jerry B______
What did you all write in your answer? I would like to know so I can inform the people on this thread in the SGF
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopi ... 09#1854009
http://benrom.com/
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
richard37066

Re: forum registration-help!

Post by richard37066 »

Bent -

I'm just as befuddled as you and everyone else. When I joined this forum almost a year ago I flunked the course twice - hit paydirt on the third try! This, in spite of the fact that I am at least reasonably knowledgeable about the PSG and its' players! I'm in the dark as to the reason for the questions(s) in the first place. I can only make a wild guess that the questions are supposedly designed to weed out those few who would join - for free - and not make a contribution or participate in its' activities. This is only a dumb guess!

Several years ago, I laid down $5 in order to join the SGF. I've gotten a thousand-fold return on my investment. Perhaps there should be an up-front charge for the builder's forum?

LARRY - please enlighten the membership and, if deemed feasible, institute a membership fee. Lord knows, I've already received five bucks worth of info and friendship many, many times over. Don't mean to rain on your parade but Bent's query is somewhat of a vexing problem.

Richard
Paul Lafountaine

Post by Paul Lafountaine »

I sure hope that everyone knows who Jerry is. Could it have to be that his last name has a Y and not an I in it? If people don't know here is a sample of his work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN5XDwsj0TI

Paul
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

I kinda figured every steel player would know who jerry byrd is, i dont see the problem Bent :?
Bent

Post by Bent »

Yes of course, everybody knows who he is. But the problem is most likely that It won't work when they key in the obvious answer. Therein lies the glitch as far as I can understand.
21 BenRom pedal steel guitars, a Nash 112 and a 1967 TOS Milling machine with many cutters making one hell of a mess on the floor.
richard37066

Post by richard37066 »

Bent -

I'm with you. If memory serves me correctly, I entered Jerry's name correctly but was rejected. My immediate response was WTF? It would appear that Larry would have to weigh in on this dilemma.

Richard
banjo980

Post by banjo980 »

When I first tried to join the forum, I did'nt know anything about lap steel, and even didn't know what "psg" could mean... I spent almost 3 weeks to collect all the answers before I was agreed :-)

Xavier
Bent

Post by Bent »

And as far as we know - no response from the Admin. Wonder what Larry is up to?
larry
Site Admin

Post by larry »

As I've said before guys, I travel a lot, and this past year I've traveled quite a bit more than previous years. This year will be more of the same. I'm afraid that it leaves me with very little time to manage the forum and at this point no time to build.

When my schedule permits I'll look into a different registration method, but for now this is the ONLY one that has worked to deter the insane amount of spam bot registrations. We're talking hundreds a day. Plain and simple, I just don't have the time to filter through that kind of volume.

I plan on keeping this forum going on a permanent basis, but at some point I will need someone to step up and help so the registrations can be taken care of in a more timely manner.

Until then, this will have to do...I have to add though, sending me nasty email isn't the way to speed one's entry to this forum.

I'm home for a few days and then off to Europe for most of the month. I'll be looking in as often as I can to take care of the registrations, but I know there will be delays.

Best regards and Happy New Year to all.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

larry wrote:. . . but at some point I will need someone to step up and help so the registrations can be taken care of in a more timely manner. . . .
Why not now? I'll bet if you posted some specific requirements right now in terms of computer skills and time needed to do the job and so on, you'll get more than one volunteer to help with registrations. Should it make sense, you may find that you can get some help on other fronts as well. I'm NOT volunteering right now precisely because I don't know what your specific requirements are and you haven't asked for help, anyhow. FWIW, just my $0.02 . . .
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.