Should Extra Necks Be Higher?

On or off Topic
BillyJ

Should Extra Necks Be Higher?

Post by BillyJ »

Hi all.
Just need your opinions regarding whether you think its important to have any other necks on a twin neck or triple etc higher than the neck on the players side.
The reason I ask this is because I myself like extra necks on non pedal consoles to be a little higher. Although, playing consoles where all the necks have been at same height has not bothered me and I hardly gave a thought to the issue.
Now I know there are many builders who have the extra necks a little higher and state emphatically that all twin necks etc should have each neck slightly higher than the others. However, I know of many builders also that state its no big deal and they prefer to build double neckers with both necks at same height on their consoles. They may have front neck a little higher on triple neckers but keep other 2 necks at same height.
Is this a big issue for other builders here?
Do you have each neck a little higher than the other or do you have them all the same.
Just interested in your thoughts on this issue guys.

Thanks
Billy
BillyJ

Re: Should Extra Necks Be Higher?

Post by BillyJ »

I'd be interested in your comments folks :)
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

Given the way that people fling their opinions about around here, I'd of thought that you'd of had a least a dozen of them by now.

I don't own any double- or multi-necked steels so this is really out there speculative opinion. It seems to me that this is mainly a player issue: What is s/he most comfortable with? Personally, I think that I'd want to raise each deck about the height of the strings. That is, if the strings are 3/8" above the fretboard, then I'd like the next deck to be 3/8" above that.

If pedals and levers are involved, you might want to raise the front neck(s), but keep the under-carriage flat for mechanical reasons.

Just my $0.02 worth -- hopefully you'll get some ideas from some more experienced folks.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
azureskys

Post by azureskys »

Hi Billy , im thinking thats a personal thing , i guess some might say one should be higher , i built a few double necks some with necks on the same plane and some with one higher (front neck being higher) it might be a comfort thing also like extending the arms out farther to reach the front neck , so makeing it higher might be more comfortable for some , just a thought for ya . Russ
BillyJ

Post by BillyJ »

Thanks for your posts guys. Yeah I reckon its a personal thing but was just wondering if it was a big deal for others. Personally I like front neck to be 5/8 taller than back neck. I normally have string height at about 1/2 to 5/8 inches.

As mentioned previously, I know of many builders (commercial builders too) that just build D-8s with both necks at same height and many others that have front neck/s higher. Some that build them at same height say that it is more appealing to look at. Hmmm?

Billy