Amp Problem ???

On or off Topic
Eldon

Amp Problem ???

Post by Eldon »

We played a short set at a Gospel festival yesterday. Ist song went well. Next 3 songs were almost a trainwreck. Our drum machine and bass are plugged into the same amp. A second amp was plugged into the same outlet. We got into the second song and both drums and bass faded out - no power with a real scratchy sound. We eventually replaced instrument cables on both units and things settled down. I've never experienced this kind of "brownout" caused by inst cables. Drum machine jack also gave a mild shock when it was touched. Bass player has checke dhis stuff, says it's alright. I need to check the drum machine out yet. The only thing I can think of is that we were plugged into an improperly wired outlet or some other heavy load was plugged into it somewhere else along the run (coffee urn maybe).

If there is any ideas out there I'd sure appretiate them because it was a gig from H___ for the first bit and hardly enough time to recover well to finish off.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon
richard37066

Re: Amp Problem ???

Post by richard37066 »

Eldon -

Instrument cables the cause of your "brownout"? Seems more coincidental than anything else.

In an attempt at being cautious, I'd first suggest that you buy one of those little circuit testers which not only detect polarity but the existence of a valid ground as well. Secondly, and since it appears that your power requirements are somewhat minimal, you can get a voltage regulator/isolator to place between the house supply and your equipment. These two suggestions are prompted by the plethora of horror stories concerning the state of power in all manner of venues. You're now divorced from any vagaries in the power source.

Lastly, instrument cables may, or may not, have a strain relief feature built into the plug. This, in my estimation, is a necessity. As you well know, it doesn't take much bending and tugging at the connector end to wreak havoc with the integrity of the wiring. I, personally, will not use any cable without such relief. Further, I carry two spares of whatever length that I'm using. Ya don't have to spring for megabucks Monster cables but a little extra expense should be worth it in the long run.

Since you changed out the cables with spares, it almost seems that you should cast a jaundiced eye towards the cables, themselves, and upgrade them if necessary. Ya really don't need another hellish experience like the one that you described.

Drums and bass both plugged into the same amplifier? Both crapped out at the same time? Hmmmmmmmm.

Just tryin' to stimulate your thinking.

Richard
Eldon

Re: Amp Problem ???

Post by Eldon »

Thanks Richard I appretiate your comments.
Music is what feelings sound like!

Eldon